Chapter 1: "Welcome To Kellerman's!"

"That was the summer of 2016. When everybody called me "Nikki" and it really didn't occur to me to mind. That was the year when Donald Trump became president, when K-Pop music became the next new thing to listen to, when I couldn't wait to go off to New York to finally be at Juliard to study ballet (or so I thought...) and I never thought I would find a guy as great as my dad. That was the summer we went to Kellerman's!"

"Finally we're here!" My older-adopted sister Lela exclaimed as she eagerly hopped out of the car admiring the place as the rest of us did. We had finally made it to Kellerman's Resort Hotel in Pennsylvania after the long drive up from smalltown Lima,Ohio. My sister was wearing a dark blue, white, and blue flower printed ruffled top, a white skirt, and white wedges with her long black hair straightened and a white headband on her head. "Would you look at that? This place hasn't changed a bit." My mom said as she smiled with my father's hand around her waist. My mom was wearing a black and white dress, her long auburn hair curled, and black heels with my dad at her side wearing a blue polo shirt, tan pants, brown dress shoes and his glasses. "Yep. Just the same as it used to be." He said as he kissed her. As I got out of the car to check the place out, I fixed my short black curly hair, my Diamond-Embroidered peasant top, dark blue jean capris and my white converse. "Oh my word, mom look at that!" Lela exclaimed as she saw a bellhop carrying a bunch of older lady's shoe boxes as I looked at the place with my dad. "Mom, I should've brought my turquoise stilettos. You told me I packed too much." My older sister said complaining to
my mom. "Honey, you brought about 10 pairs. Isn't that enough?" She asked putting her arm around Lela. "But my turquoise shoes matched my white dress. Everything in my wardrobe is color coordinated." She said frowning. "Sweetheart, this is not a disaster. A disaster would be Wars going on in the Middle East or Sinkholes destroying cars." My dad said making a point to my sister. "Isis attacking the U.S." I said as my dad snickered. "Butt out, Nikki." Lela said as she talked to my dad as I shrugged my shoulders. "Well, if it isn't my two favorite married kids, Finn & Rachel." Max Kellerman, the owner of the Kellerman's Resort Hotel and a family friend of my parents and grandparents, said as he walked over to us. Max Kellerman was wearing a black suit with a white buttoned up dress shirt, black suit pants, black dress shoes, and black glasses. "Hey, Mr.Kellerman." Finn said hugging Max. "Well, what do you know? After years of convincing, your parents finally got you to come up on my mountain." Max said smiling at us as we all shook his hand. "How's your blood pressure,Max?" My dad asked him kindly. "I want you girls to know if it weren't for someone like your father I'd-." Max said smiling. "Be standing here dead." I said smiling at him. "She took the words right out of my mouth." He said laughing with my family. "Bobby! Take these bags up to cabins 110 & 111. He said exclaiming to a 24 year old guy with brown short hair wearing a white Kellerman's staff shirt, dark jeans, and black converse. "Right away, Mr.Kellerman." Bobby said as my dad handed him the keys to open the trunk. "I've picked out the best cabins for you and your beautiful family." Max said as he talked to my family while I went to help Bobby with our luggage from the trunk. "Hey, thanks for helping me."
Bobby said as he got my mom and dad's suitcases from trunk and my dad's bathroom caddy. "No problem." I said getting mine and my sister's suitcases along with mine,my mom's and sister's bathroom caddy's. "Would you want a job here this summer?" He asked as he shut the trunk. "Thanks. But, I'm won't be able to." I said smiling crossing my arms. "Let me guess you've got a ballet scholarship to Juilliard and can't it pass up." He said smiling at me as he handed me my mom's, sister's, and my purse. "How did you know?" I asked smirking at him. "Good guess." He said nodding his head towards my purse with my ballet shoes sticking out as I laughed. "I'm Bobby Kostecki by the way." He said shaking my hand grinning. "I'm Nikki Hudson." I said shaking his hand. "There's a Merengue class in the Gazebo in a few minutes. This woman is a great dancer. She used to be a professional dancer and a judge on Dancing With The Stars." Max said talking to my parents about the first activity of the day. "It's Finn's first vacation in 6 years. Max, just take it easy on him." My mom said smiling at us while holding dad's hand. "If you guys spend 3 weeks here, it'll feel like a whole year." Max said smiling at us as Bobby and a bellhop took our luggage to me and my sister's and my parents cabins. "Alright gang, let's get to dancing." My dad said as my mom pulled me and my sister along.

Photo Credit: Richard Elliot Hoynes

"Alright my beautiful Kellerman's guests, let's get this first fun filled day started!" The dancer who's name was Julianne Hough, one of the dance instructor's at the resort, exclaimed with excitement as the rest of the guest cheered. She was wearing a peach dress with gold heels and her hair curled. "Now, everyone make a line please." She said as everyone scrambled to get into place as Juliane started the Merengue on her iPod dock. "So we're gonna go 1,2,3,4... stomp those grapes & stomp some more. And 1,2,3,4..." She said as she leading us through the dance steps. "Guys, listen to the music. 1,2,3,4...Throw your caboose and shake it loose. 1,2,3,4... keep stomping those grapes." She said while she walked around and helped some people listening to the rhythm and beat of the music, like my dad who had two left feet when it came to dancing. Unlike me, who had no clue how to do the Meringue or dance, besides doing ballet. "Men, follow me into a Round Robin. Ladies, get in the inner circle." She said as the men got into a Conga line with her as the women in the inner circle did the same. "Oh, Come on Ladies! You wouldn't have maracas, if you didn't need to shake em'! " Julianne exclaimed as she and the rest of the women, besides me, shimmied their bodies. "Alright ladies, now when I say stop, your gonna find the man of your dreams." said to us smiling while dancing. "And...Stop!" She exclaimed happily as she got in front of my father and danced with him while an older man named, Mr.Schumacher, danced with me. What a great start to my family's Summer Vacation, I thought to myself.