Chapter 6: "Dancing 101 & Getting to Know and Like You"

Saturday
"NO!!!" Aaron exclaimed for probably the 5th time that morning in the staff quarters getting frustrated with me. Aaron was wearing his black muscle tank top, black jeans, black converse and hair slicked back as usual. I was wearing a white buttoned up top with a hot pink undershirt, dark jean capris, and white converse with my hair curled. "You don't step on the 1. You start on the 2, find the 2. Do you understand me?" Aaron asked me as he walked over to play De Todo Un Poco from his iPhone on the iPod dock. "I told you that I've never done any of these dances before in my life, except-." I said as he cut me off. "Ballet. I know, I've heard you say it a million times. Now you've gotta remember, it goes 1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4. And when the music starts you don't dance until the 2. Got it?" He asked me as I nodded my head. "Good. Now, just relax." He said as we both took deep breaths and he shook my arms to loosen up a bit. "Alright, now put your frame up." He said as I put my left hand in his and my right hand on his shoulder. "Good." He said giving me a small smile. "Nope. Remember what I told you." He said as I put my left foot out before the song started. As the song began, I was doing great.... that is until I stepped on his foot and he got mad at me again....

Sunday
The next day went well...or so I thought. We both wore the our same dance clothes as the day before. "Alright, let's do it again." Aaron said after our 15 minute break sitting on the steps of the staff quarters as I put my hair in a bun as we stood in front of the full length mirror. "And you go... 2,3,4... 2,3,4." He said walking around in a circle. "Don't lean back, your not in a recliner." He said counting out the beats to me as he straightened my back. "Lift your arms up, not down." He said lifting my arms up into a frame position. "Put your shoulders down, like your slouching." He said as pushing my shoulders down to where he wanted them to be. "Continue going 2,3,4... and 2,3,4." He said holding my posture in place as I danced while he counted out the beats. "Ok, can we please stop?" I asked him out of breath as I sat back down on the stairs. "No. Come on, you've gotta concentrate. Let's do it again." He said pulling me up from the stairs as we went back into it. After each dance lesson, I practiced everyday on the bridge until I felt comfortable with myself and happy. Finally, I was dancing and this time not to ballet! One afternoon, I decided to wear my white buttoned up shirt around my waist and danced freely on the bridge, that is until I saw my parents and sister jogging up the path, as I put my white shirt back on and saw my family wearing matching outfits, which were white polo shirts, white shorts and white tennis shoes. "Nikki, what are you doing here?" My dad said stretching his arms. "N-Nothing, I'm just doing some stretches. Gotta be good and fit for Juilliard." I said as I did a ballet warmup. "Why are you getting practice? You've already gotten your scholarship, isn't that enough sis?" Lela asked me as she stretched as well. "Lela, you should be proud of your sister's success." My mom said tightening her ponytail. "Of course, I should be. Why can't you be proud of me for once?" Lela asked as them. Once they left, I began dancing freely again, my way, as I tossed my white buttoned up top from my waist and danced back up the stairs as Elizabeth walked by and caught my shirt laughing.

Monday
"Don't put your heel down." Aaron said as I danced while walking in a circle around me as he corrected me as Bobby and Elizabeth came to watch us at the staff quarters during their break. They were wearing their usual Kellerman's attire while we wore our usual dance clothes. "Ok." I said giving him a small smile. "I just said don't put your heel down, you need to stay on your toes!" Aaron exclaimed to me as he crossed his arms. "I didn't. Just stop yelling at me." I said putting my arms down in frustration while Bobby and Elizabeth snickered at our bickering. "Just listen to me, the steps aren't enough. You've gotta feel the music." He told as he looked at me. So, that afternoon, I felt the music in me. I danced to song on repeat on my phone as I made my way down the bridge, making sure no one saw me as I did a cute dance pose on the bridge, as I danced my way back to the cabins that afternoon.