Chapter 5: "A Favor from Dad & New Dance Partner?!"

Photo credit: Jeremy Daniel

I woke up the next morning and decided to go confront Ricky about the problem with Julianne before my family woke up for breakfast. I did my morning routine, fixed my hair, put on my dark red and white striped shirt, dark blue capris, and white converse. "Oh,Nikki there you are. Could you maybe help me fill-up the water glasses for the guests?" Ricky asked as he greeted me with his waiter's attire on, black dress shoes and his hair slicked back as usual. I just nodded my head as I began to tell him the issue. "And how do you get the say in telling me what's right?" Ricky asked me as he picked up a bread basket of bagels and tossed them on guests plates. "But you can't leave Julianne like this, I mean..." I said pouring water into a glass as he cut me off. "I didn't choose to spend my summer waiting tables just to help out some girl who's probably kissed every guy at this place. A little precision, please, Nikki." Ricky said as I spilled a few drops of water on the table. "Some people count & some people don't... read it." He said as he handed me a worn out copy of the book The Fountainhead. "I think it's a book you'll like, but make sure you give back-- I have notes in the margin, K." He said to me giving me a smile and a wink. "So, your not gonna do anything?" I asked him as I handed the book back to him. "No, why should I?" He asked smiling at me as he put another bagel on a plate. "You make me sick. Just stay away from me and my sister or I'll tell Mr.Kellerman to have you fired." I said smiling at him as I poured the ice cold water pitcher down his pants. "Have a nice day!" I exclaimed sarcastically as the other waiters around him laughed.

"Is there something that I'm doing wrong?" My mom asked my dad as they were playing golf on the golf course. My mom was wearing a light blue polo shirt, white athletic shorts and white flats with her hair down. My dad was wearing a light orange polo shirt with his glasses on, tan pants and brown dress shoes. "Your lining it up a little wrong, Rach." My dad said as I walked up towards them. "I promise you, if your mom ever leaves me it'll be for Tiger Woods." My dad said laughing. "Daddy, I kinda have a problem. Someone's in trouble." I said smiling at him. "Besides your mom. I'm just kidding sweetheart, I love you." My dad said laughing as my mom frowned at him. "And you've always told me if someone was ever in trouble I should help them out, right?" I asked him as he nodded his head. "Could you maybe loan me $250?" I asked him smiling as my mom continued golfing. "That's a lot of money, Nikki. What do you need it for?" My dad asked me questionably. "Nikki, don't slouch. Stand up straight." She said as she looked up from her golfing position. "Yes mam'm." I said as I straightened my shoulders. "I can't tell you." I said to him. "I thought you said you could tell me anything." My dad said as he crossed his arms. "Not this." I said putting my hands in my pockets. "It's nothing illegal right?" He asked me as he went to get another golf putt. "No, sir." I said smiling at him. "That's my mistake. Forgive me." He said to me as he kissed my forehead. "Alright, I'll have it for you tonight after the resort's campfire." Dad said as he kissed me on the head. "Is everything ok guys?" My mom asked coming up to hug me. My dad nodded while smiling at her and me. "Thanks Dad." I said as I now walked off with a pep in my step.

After the campfire ended, I went back to me & my sister's shared cabin and changed into my white buttoned up shirt, dark blue jean shorts, my hair in a high ponytail and my white converse. I walked back to the staff quarters to give Julianne the money that she needed from my father. When I got there, all the staff kids were all dancing to Stubborn Kind Of Fellow while Aaron and Julianne were standing by the steps talking while Elizabeth and Bobby sat on the bottom of the steps as I made my way through the crowd. Julianne was wearing a light pink top, dark blue jean shorts, gold heels and her hair curled. Aaron was wearing a black muscle shirt, black jeans, black converse and his hair slicked back as usual. "Here's the money!" I exclaimed with happiness as I handed her the envelope. "Did Ricky give this to you?" Julianne asked me as she drank her bottle of Coca-Cola while taking it. "No, you were right about him. That guy's a jerk." I said giving her a small smile. "Where'd you get it?" Elizabeth asked me smiling with glee. Elizabeth was wearing her Kellerman's staff clothes, which consisted of a white Kellerman's short sleeved buttoned up shirt, dark capris, and black converse with her hair in a high ponytail. Bobby was also wearing his Kellerman's staff clothes, which consisted of a white Kellerman's t-shirt with dark red lettering, dark blue jeans, and black converse with his hair slicked back. "She told me she needed it." I said sitting down next to them. "Is this kid for real?" Julianne asked smiling at Aaron. "Yeah, I'll bet it takes a real kiss-up to ask Daddy. Isn't that right, Daddy's Girl?" Aaron asked smirking at me as I frowned. "Thanks, Nikki, but I can't use it." She said handing it back to me. "What's wrong with you? You need the money, take it." Aaron said to her as she pulled him aside to talk to him. "I could only get her an appointment for next Thursday. They do their Mambo act at the Sheldrake Hotel that night. If they cancel, they lose this year's salary and next year's dance gig there." Bobby said giving Elizabeth his jacket since she was cold. "Can't someone else just fill-in for her?" I asked him. "No, Miss.Prima Donna Ballerina, someone else can't fill-in." Aaron said as he walked back over towards the steps with Julianne. "Megan has to work all day, she can't learn the routine in time and Jessie has to fill in for Jules. If you haven't looked around here yet, everyone works here. What about you? Do you wanna do it and take a break from playing Simon Says?" Aaron asked me as he chuckled while drinking his water. "That's actually not a bad idea, cuz." Bobby said smiling as the imaginary lightbulb went off in his head as my eyes widened. "I was only kidding, Bobby." Aaron said jokingly. "What, I've seen Nikki practicing her ballet in the guest's dance studio and she's good. Really good." Bobby said smiling at me. "No, that's the craziest idea I've ever of." Aaron said as Julianne smiled next to him. "Yeah, I mean it could work. Julianne could teach me the Mambo steps to your dance act, I could teach them to Nikki while your teaching her the rest of the technique. It could work!" Elizabeth exclaimed as she high fived Bobby while Aaron just shook his head in defeat. "Does anyone not hear me?" Aaron asked us while everyone ignored him. "This is nuts. Guys, I can't even do the Meringue for pete's sake. Let alone dance like you." I said shrugging my shoulders. "Aaron, your an amazing dancer. You can lead just about anybody." Julianne said smiling at him. "But, you just heard her. She can't even do Meringue. She can't do it, no way." Aaron said crossing his arms while shaking his head at me. "Can't never could, couldn't never would." I said smirking at him. "Fine, we'll start on Saturday morning at 8:30." He said as he walked out of the staff quarters in disbelief.