Chapter 4

- Are you kidding me?! - I exclaim louder than I intended. My body begins to tremble. No, please!

- Hey, Eva... are you okay? - I hear Dakota's voice, but I don't pay attention, again. I need to know the truth.

- Austin, please listen to me. You were there and you know very well why I decided to leave. Now, answer me honestly, have you spoken to him after that? Does he have any intentions of meeting me again? - I blurt out all the words quickly as if that will make the fear I feel less or go away.

- This... I... - he stammers and bites his lower lip in a nervous gesture. He looks into my eyes and I can see the glint of bravery in them. - Okay, fine. I know you're not having a good time with all this, but I swear Eva, I haven't seen him since he ran away from home.

- What about the others? - I press him. I know him and he's only telling me the half-truth. Or so I think.

- Well, you know Nate disappeared before you left and as for the other hippie... I have no idea. I guess he's with his family. I've moved away and I haven't seen them anymore. - he twists his face. I know he misses them, in spite of everything. They were inseparable. 

We've both been through a lot and meeting him here is exciting, but strange at the same time. Then, I mentally beat myself up. We're talking about Austin, my best friend since forever. The person I trust the most after my brothers. If he's here with me, I'm not going to overthink it; I've already wasted too much time away from him.

I sigh letting out all the worries and hug him tightly. A minute later I pull away and see Dakota looking at Austin with an expression that's hard to guess. Her eyes are narrowed and her lips are pursed, as is her frown. What's wrong with her?

- Dakota, is something wrong? - I ask curiously.

-No, it's just... - she says quietly, not taking her eyes off him. Damn, she's already captivated by him. I'm not surprised, it happens... and a lot. She gets a little closer to him and says in a slightly embarrassed voice: - I feel like I've seen you somewhere before. I'm sure I have.

- Well... if I had seen you before, I would remember that pretty face for sure. - Austin says with a perfect smile. Here we go again...

I roll my eyes at Austin's response and Dakota's reaction. She's more than lost in his blue eyes. I can't help but feel a twinge of jealousy. I don't want him taken away from me when I just get to have him back in my life. Even though Dakota is harmless to me, I feel like we're competing by being next to each other. And she beats me hands down, that's for sure. Meanwhile, the two of them start chatting quietly, letting out stupid giggles and smiling. As if they have nothing better to do.

- Okay, I'm glad they're getting along, but umm.... we... - I babble trying to find a good excuse. - ...we have to look for Grayson. Right, Dakota?

- I don't remember us agreeing to that. - she says with a frown and a confused expression. I feel like drilling her with my eyes. She notices my expression, but instead of agreeing with me, she raises an eyebrow. - Why don't you go look for him? I'm going to stay a while longer and chat with Austin.

- Excuse me? - I asked in surprise. I thought Dakota was one of those Barbies who usually says "yes" without a whimper. Looks like she's not one of those. What a bitch.

- That's it Eva, let's chat some more. Don't be jealous of your friend, I promise I'll get her back safe and sound in your room. - he says letting out a giggle of amusement when he sees my face. I'm not jealous of her, you idiot. - And say hi to Gray for me, will you?