Chapter 5

Aaron's smile catches me and continues as I get dressed for our dinner.... Date?

No, dinner.

I just change my top; taking off my t-shirt and putting on a light green sweater with sleeves. It will probably cool down a bit later and I don't want to be the typical girl who goes out without a coat so that, in an act of stupid chivalry, he offers her his. That never happens. At least, not anymore. I head to the bathroom to put on my makeup.

I hear voices outside and then someone knocks on the door. I assume Aaron is a little impatient, even though it's only been a short time. But this being a university, it could also be some jock with less brain cells. I'd rather finish getting ready before any of my brothers or Dakota arrive and start asking questions. I put on some circle earrings, a little pink lipstick and I'm ready. I open the door and Aaron is nowhere to be found.

He has stood me up.

I slam the door with all my might. It only took me no more than five minutes! Apparently, having dinner with me wasn't that important. This is one of the reasons I didn't want to do this. The frustration I feel, mixed with anger at myself, only makes everything worse. How could I have been so stupid?

Without even changing my clothes, I plop down on the bed. I sigh and turn on the TV to find a distraction. It doesn't do much good, as my head doesn't stop working.

An hour later, there's another knock on the door. I get up with some resignation and open it.

- You'd better have a good excuse for.... - I start to say, but when I see that it's not Aaron knocking, I stop myself.

- I didn't know I should have an excuse ready for knocking. - he smiles with amusement.

- It wasn't you I was expecting. Do you need anything? - I blurt out a little more sharply than I should.

- And who were you expecting then? - he asks, entering the room and squinting at the door.

- That's not important.

- It is to me, Eva. - he says firmly and I let out a snort. - What are you doing?

- Me? - I raise both eyebrows in astonishment at his tone of voice. He sounds a little... annoyed. - Look Austin, I'm not in the mood right now. Dakota isn't here, if you were looking for her. In fact, she should be with you.

- But she's not. - he replies simply. - I know something's up and I haven't seen you in a long time. Let's go get some dinner so we can catch up on everything over the past few months. What do you say?

I think about it for a moment. I'm still mad at him for ditching me to be with Dakota. I mean, he barely knows her! And I've missed him for months and months. So, I decide to stop beating around the bush.

- Okay, I accept. - I say and roll my eyes, causing him to let out a laugh and we walk out.

We go to the parking lot and he pulls up to a black, immaculate-looking van. He disables the alarm and opens the driver's door. I climb in on the passenger side and he starts up to leave.

- Nice van. - I exclaim, looking around the interior.

- Do you like it? It was a gift from my parents after graduation.

- Really? But I was with you all that day and you never mentioned it. I wish I had congratulated you earlier.

- Yeah... I guess I must have forgotten. - He shoots me sideways glances and gives me a nervous smile.