Chapter 15: Twist

I skipped school the next day. Let's just say I needed a very believable sickness to fool my grandparents. I was fake throwing up and everything, it was ridiculous. Although Shane knew I was faking, because he's smart like that.

My grandparents left to go shopping for the day, and Shane was stuck here at the house. I made my way downstairs and into the living room, "Why aren't you shopping with them? You know they're old." Shane looks away from the TV to look at me, "They said I didn't need to go." He focused back on the TV as I made my way to the couch and sat next to him.

He looked at me, "What happened to your face, by the way?"

I looked at him and immediately remembered that Harvey punched me and I head-butted Miss Collins. "Uh, I fell." He raised his eyebrows, "You're a terrible liar," He looked back at the TV, "But I won't ask you since you don't want to talk about it." I nodded and looked at the TV. Then he spoke, "But if someone is bullying you, I will find out." I looked at him and rolled my eyes, "No one is bullying me and I can take care of myself."

He raised his eyebrow, "Oh, yeah? Then why'd you skip school?"

I looked at the TV, "Because I'm sick." I fake coughed which made him laugh. "That's the most unbelievable lie I've ever heard." I looked at him and shook my head, "It's not a lie." He nodded, "Ok." I focused back on the TV.

It's been an hour and I was bored out of my mind. I've texted Toby to let him know that I needed some work from my classes and of course, he asked why I was skipping. I told him I was sick but he didn't believe it. He knew me too well to know that I rarely get sick. So, I told him the truth about what happened last night. He didn't like it, and told me that I needed to stay away from Miss Collins, but that just drove me more to her. I wanted to know her dark secret on why she always turned cold and dark when bringing up her past. I get that being forced to kill your parents can traumatize people or being raped and abused by your brother is sickening, but is it really necessary to try and kill me?

I must of fell asleep because I felt someone shake me and when I opened my eyes, Shane was standing next to me, holding a box. "This just came for you." I sat up and grabbed it then looked at him, "Who brought it?" He shrugged, "Not sure, because it was left on the step." He left the room and I looked down at the box in my lap.

It was fairly big, but not huge. It wasn't even heavy. It was light, actually. I pulled the tape off the top and opened it. At first I didn't see anything, but I saw a piece of paper folded at the bottom. I took it out and set the box aside. I opened it and noticed that it was a letter.

I read it:

Dear, Aubrey.

Thank you so much for visiting me the other day. I appreciated your company. Although our time was cut short, I'd love to meet again and talk to you some more. Especially about your favorite person, Jennifer.

I had to stop reading and take a deep breath.

Yes, I know your fascination with my sister. It's obvious, right? Now, I'm fairly certain that you'd like to know how I know this information since I am locked away. Well, my dear, that is a mystery that you can't solve. My accomplice is highly trained to keep their identity a secret. But, let's cut the games, shall we? You want answers, and I have them for you. You just need to do me a tiny favor.

I close my eyes for a brief second then continue.

Since you're close to my sister, and since it's her fault I am in this shit hole. What I would like for you to do is simple; make her trust you. Simple, right? But, that's not all. In order for her to trust you, you must trust her. Jennifer isn't someone you should trust easily. She has a dark side, that only I, her brother, knows about. Once you gain her trust, it's easy sailing from here. Now here's the favor; once you gain her trust, you will send her to come see me. It won't be hard because she'll trust you. All I want is for her to visit me, her brother. Easy enough. If you fail or shall not want to participate in my favor, you, your family, your friends, or Jennifer, will be killed. Understand? Good. You have a week. See you then, Aubrey.