Chapter Eight

The Inquisitor stood on the bridge of The Revenge, watching the Corellian freighter known as the Ghost dodge laser fire with expert ease while simultaneously firing the forward batteries. But that was what puzzled him.

Obviously they were here to rescue the boy, Ezra Bridger, but why were they only using one gun?

Could the ship be low on fuel, and they were trying to conserve power? Or was it merely...a distraction?

The Inquisitor spun around quickly, heading for the Bridger's cell. If the boy escaped, his master would not be pleased.

~//~

Hera steered the ship into a barrel roll to avoid a volley of laser bolts, then zipped upwards, a small smirk on her face.

When she was flying, no matter the situation, she always just felt as if she was unstoppable, as if there was nothing separating her and her ship. As if they were one.

A ship was more than just a chunk of medal. It was her home, her freedom. And whenever she was in the air, she just felt...alive. More alive than she ever could be.

Beep-beep-beep.

Hera glanced down at the controls. It seemed the Destroyer had decided to release some ties on her. "Wonderful."

She pushed the Ghost's speed to its limit, and typed in the coordinates for the Lothal system, calculating the jump to hyperspace.

The ties started to close in, and laser blasts peppered the air around the swift ship.

The panel to her left beeped, and Hera smirked. "Not today, bucketheads!"

Hera pushed the lever forward, and the ship disappeared in a stream of blue light.

~//~

The Inquisitor knelt before the hologram projector, his heart filled with regret and anger. To think that he had been so foolish to let himself be fooled by the rebels.

Darth Vader's mechanical breathing filled the air as he appeared in the air above him. "You have failed me, Inquisitor, and it will not go unpunished."

The Inquisitor closed his eyes, hatred for his master filling him, but he hid it from Vader. "I am sorry, Master. It shall not happen again."

"I will see that it doesn't."

As the connection was cut, the Inquisitor opened his eyes, hatred for his master and himself consuming him. But first and foremost, hatred for the boy, because he had seen the truth.

~//~

The Phantom docked with the Ghost, and Zeb carried Ezra to their cabin, placing him gently on the bottom bunk.
Hera quickly appeared in the doorway, and rushed to the unconscious boy's side. "Ezra!"