Chapter Fourteen

"Ezra?"

Sabine called the kid's name once more, and he looked up at her, blinking to clear the pensive look from his face.

"You okay?"

Ezra frowned slightly, but still nodded. "I'm fine. Just...thinking."

Sabine pulled a seat down, deciding to stay, not just walk away and leave the kid to his thoughts and loneliness. As she sat, he looked at her warily, seemingly more than before, but she pretended not to notice. "Wanna...talk about it?"

Ezra's face darkened. "Not really."

Sabine didn't know what to say to that, so she looked down at her hands and began picking at a spot of paint. Ezra stayed silent as well, scowling at his feet. Something was wrong, and Sabine was going to stay until he opened up about it.

"So, what all do you remember?"

Ezra seemed surprised by the question, but answered anyway. "Oh, just this and that. Like the ship." He tapped the wall behind him. "I remember the ship, but not the name."

"Phantom. It's called the Phantom."

Ezra nodded slowly. "Ghost, Phantom. That'll be easy to remember."

Sabine smiled sadly. "Apparently not."

Ezra gave a small laugh and shrugged. "Guess you're right."

After another moment of silence where Sabine returned her focus to the paint spleck, Ezra shook his head slowly. "I just don't understand how I would forgot all of..." He raised his arm to indicate the ship around him."this."

Sabine nodded, looking over at him. "It is crazy, isn't it? I overheard Kanan and Hera talking, and they're planning to take you to a small medical facility on Lothal."

At the mention of his home planet, Ezra's face brightened. "Lothal?" Then he frowned again. "But what good will a med facility do?"

Sabine shrugged. "Well, for starters, they could tell us why you lost your memory, and maybe how you can get it back."

"You heard what...Zeb said," he answered, looking discouraged, and Sabine frowned at the dark way he said the Lasat's name. "His friend never remembered, what if I don't? What if I never get back my memories?"

Sabine looked down, saddened by the thought. "Then...I guess we'd have to make new ones."

Ezra looked at her, smiling slightly. "Can you tell me some things? About before?"

Sabine smiled, and nodded. "When we met you, we were trying to steal some crates of blasters from the Empire, but then you got in the way."

Ezra smiled, and she continued. "You let us take out all the troopers, then jumped down from a roof and stole the speeder bike the crates were attached to, right under Kanan and Zeb's nose!" Sabine laughed. "You can imagine that when you agreed to join the crew, Zeb didn't like you very much."

Ezra laughed at the idea. "I can only imagine. But...why would I go with you guys? I mean, I didn't even know you."

"Well, Kanan saved you that day, when ties were about to blast you off the planet, and you were just...here, all of a sudden."

"And then there was another mission. Saving prisoners from the Empire."

Sabine looked at Ezra, surprised. "Uh, yeah! How'd you know?"

Ezra crossed his arms, frowning. "Like I said, I remember a few things."

After a small pause, Sabine decided to go on. "Yes, we were going to board a small Imperial transport and rescue the Wookiees inside, but the mission went wrong. It was a trap, and a Star Destroyer soon had us caught. If it wasn't for you, we...wouldn't have made it outta there."

Ezra scowled. "And Zeb left me there."

Sabine blinked as realization hit her. That's why he seemed so mad at Zeb today. She nodded. "Yeah, he did. But we came back for you, you know."

Ezra frowned, finally looking up at her. "You did?"

"Of course we did!" Sabine shook her head, smiling a little. "But you didn't need us. By the time we got there you had already escaped from your cell and made it to the hangar bay." She laughed softly. "I'm sure you'd have gotten all the way back to Lothal in no time." She sobered. "And you also told us where the Wookiees actually were, making us able to save a lot of people."

Ezra seemed to have relaxed, and smiled slightly. "I didn't remember that part."

After a moment of silence, Hera's voice came over the internal com. "We've reached Lothal. Ready yourselves to exit hyperspace."

Sabine quickly grabbed hold of a handle, and Ezra copied, suddenly looking quite afraid. Sabine remembered when they'd first jumped, the pure terror on his face as the stars stretched into blue streaks out the viewport. She offered him a smile.

The ship fell out of hyperspace with a small shudder, and Ezra laughed. "I was expecting worse, but...I guess you guys would have to still be alive somehow."

Sabine laughed at his joke before standing and moving towards the smaller ship's viewport. She cocked her head in its direction. "Ever wanted to see Lothal from space?"

Ezra was at her side in a moment, and his eyes widened. "Whoa..." he breathed. "It's amazing."

"Pretty cool, huh?"

Ezra blew out a small laugh, amazement fairly spilling off of him. "You could say that. I wonder if..." His face grew sober.

"Your parents?"

Ezra glanced at her, surprised, before nodding. "I wonder if they saw this, before they left. My mom...she'd never left the planet before."

Sabine smiled slightly. "Maybe. But even so, this is your home. It's always an amazing experience."

Ezra looked away, at the durasteel walls of the ship. "But is it my home?"

Sabine grew sober. "That's for you to decide, Ezra Bridger. If you'll stay or...if you'll go."