Chapter 4

Skylars pov
-15 minutes before-
I was on my way home. Honestly, I couldn't get any work done, just wondering about this Vic so I decided that my time be better spent at home. I grabbed all my homework, so that wasn't the problem. What was a problem though was that I couldn't stop obsessing over who sent that text. Was my mom seeing somebody? And if she was, why wouldn't she tell me?
All I knew was that something felt off. I didn't know what, but it was very unsettling. I quickened my pace, walking up the the familiar apartment building. Nothing seemed different. I hopped up the stairs to the second floor, using my key and closing it softly invade she was sleeping.
Throwing my bag on the floor, I did the usual routine of washing up and putting a apron on. As I walked closer to my moms door though, I heard talking. Not just my mom, but there was a mans voice. Is that mysterious Vic guy here? Now?
I crept closer, peeking my head in. Even though the figure was turned, sitting my my mom, I could definitely tell it was a man. It must be Vic. But how would mom know him?
I was cut out of my thoughts as I heard my mom say the next thing.
"Well, I was going to tell you something
, but I know you. And if I did you wouldn't be living your dream right now." What was she talking about? I walked a little closer to the door, but stayed hidden just in case. I needed to know what was happening.
"Vic...I was pregnant. And she's your daughter." They were talking about me. Wait, what? My heart sunk slightly, and before I could stop myself, I walked into the room. "W-what?" I stuttered. She said I was his daughter. That couldn't be true. The man turned to look at me in obvious shock, as my mom looked at me sadly. "Skylar, I" I shook my head, stumbling backwards and running out of the room. I made my way out to the small patio, and sat down on the chair. My stomach plummeted, thinking about what just happened. Was he really my dad? But she said he was dead! How could she lie about something like that? Who tells a six year old her fathers dead when he was very much alive? I bit my lip, trying to hold in my anger. I hated that I was angry at her, but I couldn't help it.
I heard a small knock on the sliding door before the man walked out and hesitantly sat next to the chair beside mine. I glanced back down at my crossed arms. He still looked like he was in shock, but obviously he was taking it better then I was. "Your Skylar?" He asked softly. I shook my head, feeling strands of hair fall in my face. "I'm Vic." He said, trying to get eye contact with me. I finally looked back at him, seeing his face for the first time. I sucked in a breath, seeing all of our similarities. I guess I was right, I did get my eyes and hair from my dad.
But my moms words still went through my mind when I was young and all I wanted was a dad.
"Hey mommy?" I asked, coming home from my first day of kindergarten. "Yeah baby?" She asked with a smile. "I met a friend today." I said. "That's amazing baby." I nodded, smiling back before I frowned, remembering what she asked. "Mommy, where's my daddy?" She instantly stopped what she was doing, looking at me with big eyes. "W-what?" I walked closer to her. "Emily told me her daddy was picking her up today. She asked if my daddy was. So, where is daddy?" I asked again. She let out a sound, sitting us both down. "Well, you know how I told you some people get to go live with the Angels up in heaven? That's where daddy is, with the Angels."
I scoffed slightly, shaking my head. It was two years later when I realized that he was dead. Well, thought he was dead. That was all a lie.
"You heard your mom and I talking?" Vic asked. I nodded once again. He ran a hand through his hair, looking me over as if I was a gift. It was weird. We just met and it seemed as if I was...important to him. "Did you know about me?" I asked. He shook his head. "No." It was silent for a second.
"I can't believe I'm a dad." He muttered under his breath. "I can't believe I have a dad." I finally said, making him look at me in surprise, but also curiously.
"What do you mean?" He asked. I snorted, shaking my head. "She told me you were dead." I answered bluntly. He looked surprised, obviously not really knowing what to say to that. I didn't really know what either. I still couldn't believe she let me think he was dead all these years.
"You can't be mad at her." He finally said, making me glare at him. "She lied." I stated simply, before looking away. It was so surreal. Talking to my dad. My dad. The man that was supposed to be dead. He sat, right beside me. Talking to me.
"She thought it was for the best." He said with a sigh. I rolled my eyes. How could he be taking her side. I was his daughter. His daughter that she kept hidden all of these years. "For who? A little girl that just wanted her father to be there like all the other kids? No Vic, it wasn't for the best. Not for me." I spat out, instantly feeling bad. He didn't do anything wrong. I shouldn't be mad at him, and I wasn't. I was mad at my mom, but I couldn't yell at her.
"Sorry." I muttered, sinking down in the large hoodie I wore. He looked at me, almost like he was analyzing every move I made. "No, I'm sorry. For not being there." He said. I felt my eyes tear up a little, I blinked my eyes to make it go away. I wanted to say it was fine. That it wasn't his fault, because it wasn't his fault. But, it wasn't alright. I wasn't alright.
"Sky?" I heard Cheyennes voice. Both Vic and I looked over at her. "Your mom wants to speak with you." She said softly. I let out a sigh, slowly getting up, but felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I looked back at Vic. "Don't be too hard on her." He said. I just nodded, following Cheyenne inside.
I walked into my moms rooms, seeing tears in her my. I instantly felt bad for being mad at her, but kept my front.
"Sky," She started softly, beckoning me over. I sat next to her, frowning. "I know your mad, but just listen to me." I didn't say anything, so she continued.
"I did what I had to do Sky. It was better for all of us. Vic, he is...special. And if I told him about you, well, he wouldn't be where he was now." She said. My feelings instantly hurts, and before I thought of the outcome, I blurted the next words out. "Well I'm sorry I'm such a inconvenience." I snapped, then sat shocked. This wasn't me. I never got angry at my mom. I never gave her a attitude, we were like best friends. I just couldn't help myself.
"Hey, You know it's not like that. Your the best thing that ever happened to me." She said sternly. I met my eyes with hers, knowing that she meant it. I closed my eyes, sniffling softly. I played with the sleeves on my hoodie, finding them extremely interesting.
"Skylar." I looked up, not being able to ignore her. "Why would you say he was dead." I asked, making her go quiet. She looked like she didn't want to say anything, but know that she had to.
"I didn't want you to have false hope that he would come back. I didn't expect that he would be here." She stated, ignoring eye contact. To be honest, it kind of made sense, but that still didn't give her the right to lie about it. I kept my mouth shut before I could blurt out another rude comment.
"Im sorry." She said, looking at me and then behind me. Only then did I notice that Vic was standing by the door.
"I know." I muttered, getting up and walking past Vic. I grabbed my backpack I threw on the floor, and walked over to couch.
I had to get my mind off of this, and what's better at doing that then learning. I know most people hated it. But honestly I loved learning new things, I just hated going to the school with all of the other people. I grabbed out my history book, and the page that I had to write answers down on. Wrapping the blanket around myself, I grabbed my reading glasses from my back pack. Then I cuddled into the couch and started reading the first question. But my mind was side tracked. What now? Was Vic just going to leave. Mom said that she didn't tell Vic about me because he was living his dream, so was he going back? Will he just forget about us and go back to his perfect life? Why was he even here in the first place? And lastly, was he going to stay? Was he going to be my...dad?
By the time I was done with that page, and was about to start on the math homework, Vic walked out of my moms room.
He walked over to me, kneeling beside the couch. I looked up from the little packet, having already finished the first answer. "Homework?" He asked, looking down the page. I nodded, putting the pencil down. "Math? God, I sucked at that." He shuddered. My mouth curved into a smile. "I like it. There's always answer." I stated, looking down. He looked at me with a smile, then frowned.
"I hate to do this, but I have to be going." He said. I saw that it was 7 0-clock. I couldn't help but ask the next question. "Forever?" He looked at me in shock, before shaking his head wildly. "Of course not. Why would you think that?" He asked.
I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. I knew what I wanted to say, but I couldn't. "I'm going to be back tomorrow. I missed 15 Years with you. I don't want to miss any more." It was my time to look up at him in shock.
"Really?" He instantly nodded, making a smile spread across my face. He hesitantly opened his arms for a hug. I wrapped my arms around him still in disbelief.
I was hugging my dad for the first time in my life.

--
Hey! It's Victoria!!!
So, this is the first chapter I wrote in this book, but I'm already loving it.
Thanks for reading!!!!
-V