Chapter 1

Purge- (meaning) Getting rid of undesirable people or things.

I heard the stern female voice on the television announcement and as the loud siren went off, I felt the insides of my stomach churning due to fear. I've never been alone during a purge. My parents had some urgent buisness in Japan last week and they had to leave immediately while I was stuck here alone. I got my home security double-checked a few days ago and it seemed to be working perfectly fine. After all, why would anyone want to kill me? It's not like I would be someone's purge target. I barely know people. I just decided to sleep and get rid of this night as quick as possible and so I did. Luckily, I even fell asleep early.

I was woken up by the noise of loud gun shots from a few streets away. It didn't seem like anyone was getting killed, maybe just someone firing in the air, as a joke? I tried falling asleep once again but the gun shots were too disturbing. They seemed to be coming closer by the second. I decided to put on my headphones in order to avoid the noise outside.

After a while, the gun shots got really loud. It seemed to be coming from the lane right behind ours and my heart pounded louder against my ribcage. I removed my headphones as the gun shots reached our lane. Why would someone be willing to waste so many bullets?! It's so annoying!

I took off the blankets and stood up from the bed, making my way towards the window. I slowly slid the curtains, ensuring that I didn't alert the psychopathic gunmen outside. I was greeted by a pool of blood squirted all over the street. What was worse? It was the blood of my neighbours. Someone was purging in our lane, probably forcing people out of their homes and brutally killing them. I spotted a few armed people, still beating the dead bodies with baseball bats while some were even using chopping knives to cut the dead bodies open.

I closed the curtains and did the same thing any rational human being would do in this situation. I panicked. I started pacing back and forth, wondering how to get out of this situation. Sure our home security was strong but it wouldn't stand if these people used the force of cars to break it open. I wanted to check if they had come on a random killing spree or they had some targets in mind so I did the stupidest thing someone could do in this situation. I opened the curtain once again and darted my eyes around the place. EVERY SINGLE house in our lane was broken into. I had the feeling that I surely wouldn't survive this purge and unfortunately one of the men outside spotted me at the window. I quickly closed the curtain with fear enveloping me. I started breathing frantically with beads of sweat rolling down my forehead. I was close to having a panic attack. I took deep breaths in order to calm down and think of a better solution. Should I fight back? No, that's a bad idea. They're well armed and I don't think I would stand a chance against them.

Suddenly, I heard our door bell ring. It's them! It's them! Shit, it's them!  I took a step towards the door before I heard a loud male voice from outside.

"The Republic of Korea, a nation reborn!" A deep voice said from the outside. An even worse fact was that the person's voice was calm, which scared me even more. By now, ringing of the door bell got impatient and so did I. I had to find a way out but going outside on a purge night would mean encountering another bunch of similar people.

"Just break it open!" A female voice said and the people started working on destroying the door. I could sense that the door wouldn't last so I ran towards my parents' room, on the complete other side of our house. I opened the windows and jumped outside before running away from the house. I heard a loud thud which obviously meant that they had broken the door open. If they see the open window, they'll know that I ran away. I increased my pace and ran away from the lane but tripped over something.

It was a dead body.

I placed my hand over my mouth with tears streaming down my face. This isn't how the purge was supposed to go on! I should've just left with my parents, instead of being trapped in this situation. I ran almost to the extent where I couldn't even recognise my own surroundings but luckily, I didn't encounter any human beings. So far, so good.

I stopped in my tracks when I heard a pair of footsteps from a distance. They seemed to be syncing with mine. I ran inside the parking lot of a building, little did I know, I was being followed. I heard the dragging of an axe from outside the parking lot.

"I know you're in there!" I heard a boy speak in a singsong tone. The voice was of a person who seemed pretty young actually, maybe around 20 years old? I mentally cursed myself for not bringing a weapon along.

He took steps towards a wrecked car, the very car which served as my hiding place!

"Now, now, there's no need to be scared. It would be such a waste to kill a beauty like you." He added. I looked left and right, for a weapon I could use and this was the most fortunate thing that happened to me this night. I found a knife in the half open trunk. I quickly picked up the blood covered knife and hid it behind my back. I mustered up all the courage I had and stood up from my position.

"There you are!" The boy said in a sickeningly sweet voice. With shaky feet, I stepped towards him while he had a satisfied smile on his face. He must've thought that I gave up. I walked up to him and he immediately grabbed a hold of my hair. I winced in pain but without any delay, I stabbed the knife right into his stomach. I removed it and then stabbed him once again, letting out a high pitched scream of fear yet victory. The boy clutched his stomach with his hands and fell to the ground.

I fell on my knees and looked at my blood covered hands, it was a mere reflection of the monster I was turning into. I never thought I'd actually kill another human.

"Look out!" I heard another male voice from my left. The person I just stabbed was about to hit my head with the axe but he was blocked by another unknown person. After a couple of punches and kicks, he dropped his axe on the ground and indeed, died. The person who had just finished him off, turned to look at me. I immediately alerted my senses and tried to put up a brave facade.

"S-stay away!" I said as I pointed the knife at him and took a step back.

"This is a really funny neighbourhood! Don't you people recognise me?" The person said and I slowly lowered my knife. I now realised that the person I was talking to was a universal star. It was Chen from EXO. Due to the chaos and tension, I didn't even know it was him.

"EXO? Really? Why are you outside then?" I asked with my voice still shaking a little.

"I'll explain later. Your scream must have attracted a lot of people. Let's get out of here first." Chen said as he held my wrist and pulled me outside the building.