Chapter 4

We made our way towards the fire exit and ran downstairs, heading outside. We are running all the way down the 12th floor, if I may add. We were still on the 9th floor when suddenly, we heard footsteps. I was practically dragged inside the corridor, towards the jaintor's room before Chen closed it shut.

"Cover the exit! They shouldn't escape!" One of the men outside, practically shouted.

"What the-" Chen mumbled as I felt his minty breath fanning my face. I was basically cornered at the wall, with his hands on either sides of my body. I looked at Chen and suddenly sparks lit up throughout my body when I saw him stare back into my eyes. I swear my mind was doing cartwheels since I couldn't think straight. I felt all my blood rush up to my cheeks and suddenly, the atmosphere became really warm. We heard some footsteps and like the usual, we guessed that they were gone but weirdly, none of us hitched from our position.

"Are you blushing right now?!" Chen asked obviously whispering in disbelief.

"What?! N-no!" I wanted the ground to eat me alive, as I helplessly stuttered.

"I would find it cute but we're not in the situation to discuss that now." Chen whispered before grabbing my wrist and pulling me downstairs.

"They must be standing near the exit. What are we going to do?!" I asked.

"We're going to escape this building! For now, help me find a telephone." Chen said and I gave him a questioning look.

"Why would you need a phone?" I asked.

"We can't escape this place on foot! I'll try contacting the members." Chen said. The other EXO members are going to come? To rescue us?! OMFG This can't be happening! My clothes aren't that good and my hair also looks disheveled. They can't see me like this!

"What are you thinking?!" Chen asked.

"It's nothing!" I said. I can't believe I was worried about my appearance, in this situation, only because of the EXO members and on top of that I was blushing! Stupidity at it's finest!

"There's no one on this floor. Look around and see if you find a telephone. I'll be on the 8th floor." Chen said with a glint of seriousness in his voice. "And no matter what happens, don't scream! Avoid using the gun, play safe and use the knife. If you hear some movement or see anything, hide. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE BRAVE!" He instructed and I only frowned at the change in the situation.

"And what if I find a telephone?" I asked.

"I don't have a pen so, memorise this number-

010-1430-7637

This is D.O's phone number. He generally picks up unknown numbers as well, so try calling him." Chen said.

"I could just come down and-" I started but he immediately shook his head.

"We don't know who might be there downstairs and I'm not an action movie hero so, be as quick as you can." Chen said. He placed both his hands on my shoulders and stared deep into my eyes. "If a situation comes where you have to escape alone, then don't hesitate. They're after me, not you." He added.

"Why would you say that?! I'll come looking for you once I find a telephone." I smiled but he didn't smile back.

"Contact them and then come looking if you have to. Though, I'm sure that I'll come upstairs before you get the chance, but still." Chen said and sprinted towards the fire exit while I was left alone. The last time I was left alone, I ended up meeting a crazy, psycopath. I'm just wondering how creative fate could be this time.

I tiptoed towards each room, ensuring that I didn't make any sound. This is probably an office building, shouldn't they at least have one common telephone for each floor? I know that everyone carries around mobile phones these days but still, just for the look maybe?

I stepped into a room and this was the second most fortunate thing that happened to me this night! I found a telephone! A dusty, old, maroon coloured telephone!

"You're my life saver! I love you!" I whispered towards the telephone and quickly placed the handle next to my ear before dialing the numbers Chen told me.

"010-1430-76... 76? Ugh 76 what?! 34? No, 37? Wait, what was it?! Oh my god how can forget the phone number?!" I kept the handle back and tried dialing the number once again but to no avail. I kept pacing back and forth wondering what to do next. "Chen! I have to find him!" I thought to myself and stepped outside when suddenly, I saw a figure in the corridor.

Someone's outside.

I quickly looked for a cupboard or a cabinet, somewhere I could hide but the room didn't seem to have any. It was probably a meeting room since it had a long table and a few chairs around it. I quickly sat down behind the table and waited for the person to go away.

I peeked from the corner and noticed that the person was well armed. He had the type of guns I had only seen in shooting games. My knife looked like a toy against the weapons he had. I placed my hand on my mouth in order to keep quiet. I heard footsteps heading towards me but before he could go any further, there was a slight knock on the door. He immediately rushed outside and I let out a sigh of relief. That was close! After a while, the door was swung open and another pair of footsteps headed towards me.

"That's it! I'm going to be killed today!" I thought to myself but suddenly, the person sat down next to me and I immediately recognised him as Chen. I looked at him wide-eyed while he only wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He isn't that tall but still, my petite figure seemed to fit well into his hug.

"Ji-Ah, it's just me." Chen whispered.

"I knew it! Splitting up never works out in any of the movies!" I said as I hit his shoulder. Drops of tears rolled down my cheeks while Chen only chuckled at the sight.

"I'm sorry but we had to do it in order to find help quickly. I didn't find a telephone in any of the rooms but looks like you found one." Chen cheered. "Good job!" He added.

"I forgot the phone number. Can you call them? I'll keep a watch outside." I suggested and he nodded.

"Okay, tell me if you see or hear anything unusual. We can't fight them, they have weapons that will kill us in an instant." Chen said and I strided towards the door, keeping an eye at the main stairs and the fire exit. Chen dialed the phone number but kept it back down after a few seconds.

"It says switched off!" Chen said out of frustration.

"Try calling the other members." I suggested.

"They don't pick up unknown numbers." Chen sighed.

"Just give it a try." I said and he only nodded. Chen tried several numbers but I could only hear them ringing since no one picked up the call.

"Pick up the phone, please!" Chen prayed and suddenly, we heard a click.