chapter one

When moving to a new school, well a new boarding school, the transition is always the hardest part to get used to. You have to get used to the way your bed feels, the confusing halls, and where on earth your new room was. But navigating Charles Xavier's school for mutants was even more difficult. For one thing you hadn't a clue where anything was.

Kitchen? Nope...

Classrooms? Not a chance.

It was all so new and so strange. Internally you were wondering if you'd actually fit in here... Everyone you passed seemed to have their own group with people they seemed familiar with. And that's what worried you the most... having no one to talk to in the entire place. I mean the girl that took you on the tour... Jean? Was her name seemed nice enough. But you could tell that she really didn't want to be there introducing new students. Not that she didn't like people, she just seemed like she wasn't a fan of 'new' ones. But you knew that this place was going to take quite a bit of time to get used to.

When you finally got the hang of where the heck your room was, you finally got to meet your roommate. She had auburn hair with a rather large white streak going down it, and was wearing the brightest yellow and green jacket you'd ever seen. "Oh good! You must be my room-mate! It's nice to meet you, I'm Rouge." she was hesitant to reach out her hand, then deciding to pull it away rather than shake your hand. "Sorry it's a habit... I'm not really the touchy kinda person." You could tell it wasn't something she really wanted to talk about. "It's alright I get it. I'm (y/n) by the way. It's nice to meet you too" you gave her a curt smile. She had already set up a few things in the room including a record player with a couple of records beside it. You had really only been able to bring a suitcase full of clothes and a duffel bag full of a few mementos and photos from home. (parents weren't too happy to find out you were a mutant) "let me know if you need any help putting anything up Hun" you could hear a bit of a southern twang in her voice that made you smile. "Thanks, I'll probably need a bit of help with the posters if it isn't too much to ask?" she gave you an enthusiastic nod, and with that you two went off decorating, sharing stories and laughing. You could already tell that she was going to be a good friend.

Tossing and turning was quite consistent in your sleep that night however. This was the seventh attempt you made to try and get in a relatively comfortable position. Sighing in frustration. This however was enough to wake Rouge who was sleeping peacefully. She mumbled some phrase, that was hard to really hear, she was too in thought to really process anything. Too much was going on, your mind felt like it was on fire. You were nervous, classes started and it was almost time to learn about your mutation. Powers you didn't necessarily want, nor like. It was hard to be a mutant in today's society, it wasn't a time you could be 'mutant and proud'. The mutant community was slowly starting to gain that pride...but only slowly.

Classes began in the morning...and you were genuinely terrified as you finally drifted off to sleep.

(A/N so i'm sitting here...in college...doing absolutely nothing when someone comments on this story, honestly i didn't think people still read this horrid garbage...so like any introverted writer i sat down and decided i'm gonna edit this and make it better so i don't have to cringe anymore. I admit the chapters probably wont be that long, probably 500-800 words each and its going to stay at nine chapters, but i finally figured i would do this story justice, and fix what my high school self did)