Chapter 13

Several people had made their way upstairs to their rooms after calling an end to their evenings. Most people had rooms upstairs making it easier to get home the following morning.

Connie sat on the wall outside getting some air as the cold wind blew over her. "Connie?" "Hey..." She looked up over her shoulder as Greg wandered outside to sit beside her. "Is everything alright?" She bit her lip nodding as she looked out into the distance. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders loosely and placed a kiss to the top of her head. "I'm here for you, you know that." She nodded gently sitting back up once more.

"I'm going to head upstairs, you're welcome to come with me tonight." She smiled with a small shake of her head. "It's okay, you go... I'll head up soon." "Okay. I love you." He pressed his lips to hers before parting from her. "I love you too." Greg grinned getting off the wall and heading back inside.

Connie remained where she was, no desire to move anywhere. Sam wandered along the corridor glancing outside to see Connie still outside. Wandering towards the doors he pushed it open approaching her. "Hey I thought you'd gone up already..."

He could tell from the way she stayed quiet that something wasn't right with her. Moving to where she sat he jumped up beside her placing a hand to the small of her back instantly. "Hey, what is it?" Connie tried to ignore the emotions running wild within herself as she looked off over the fields.

When she didn't speak at all he pulled her into his chest hearing the gentle sobs begin to rack her body. Sam moved his chin to rest on her head as she lay against his chest. "Come on, this isn't the Beauchamp girl I know." She laughed lightly sitting back up as he ran a hand across her cheek, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"I was just thinking about my father, it's- it's stupid." "Con nothing that upsets you is stupid." She wiped her hands beneath her eyes looking back across the fields. "Dancing with Elliot earlier, I just wish I had more chances to be like that with him... My father and I didn't have a very close relationship. I just wish I had made that up while I had the chance."

Sam kept his hand pressed to the small of her back, comforting her until she glanced to him. "Thank you." He shook his hand offering a warm smile before he jumped down from the wall holding his hands out. "You need a drink Mrs Beauchamp." When she refused to take his hands he stepped forward picking her up and placing her onto the floor.

They headed back inside where they got a drink and moved to another room where they sat with one another. Sam did everything in his power to make her laugh, to help with keeping her mind away from the things that obviously were bothering her. "Don't you need to sleep?" Sam shook his head with a small smile as he watched Connie take the pins from her hair.

Slipping her heels from her feet she looked to Sam as he laughed. "What?" "This has to be the first time I have ever seen you without those on." "Shut up..." She pushed him backwards as he fell to the side before standing up.

Connie frowned looking up as he stretched a hand out. "What?" "At least give me a dance tonight." She cautiously reached up allowing him to help her up from the floor. The music had slowed again as Connie stood opposite him.

You light, the skies, up above me. A star, so bright, you blind me. Yeah. Don't close, your eyes. Don't fade away, don't fade away. Ohh...

He turned her around slowly never moving his eyes from her. Connie's fingers laced through his as he pulled her gently to his chest as though she were breakable. His hand pressed to the small of her back, in a way that only he ever held her. Connie lay her other hand to his chest as their eyes fixed onto one another.

Yeah you and me we can ride on a star if you stay with me girl we can rule the world.

Sam stepped back and forth slowly, leading her as though he knew what he were doing. He spun her around raising a smile on her lips before she moved back into his chest, her lips moving to his. Connie slipped her hand around his neck as he kissed her tenderly.

The entire moment of dancing had felt like the most private moment to have existed in her life. The way he made her feel in those few moments unlike anything else. When they separated, neither spoke but continued to dance together as the song played.

All the stars are coming out tonight, they're lighting up the sky tonight. For you, for you...

Connie spun a final time before taking his hands again. "Your father would be proud of you..." Connie instantly felt the pain return as she failed to hide the tears. Sam lifted his hands to her cheeks brushing them away before leaning close and placing a kiss to her forehead. "He'd be so, so proud of the beautiful, intelligent woman you've become."

She wrapped her arms around him dropping her head to his chest while he held onto her. He ran a hand through the curls that now fell over her shoulders. Sam waited for her to lift her head looking to him. "Let's get you upstairs, hmm?" She nodded as he picked up her shoes taking her hand in his other.

Making it upstairs quietly Sam helped her inside placing her shoes beside the wall. "I'll see you in the morning Connie." Lifting her eyes to him she nodded gently from where she sat at the end of the bed. Stepping closer he bent down to her level, his lips pressing to hers delicately. It was soft, and full of emotion as she responded neither deepening it.

Parting, he kissed her temple before wandering towards the door. "Good night Connie." "Night..." The door shut with the quietest of clicks before she got up and moved to it to lock it. Laying a hand flat to the door she stayed there a moment before turning back and undressing, getting herself into the bed.

Sam headed to his own room with his mind on Connie. They'd tried hard to make this work, to focus on their own lives and not whatever this was but with each minute apart his desire to be close to her grew. Then, when they were together he never wanted to leave. Maybe she was right, maybe something did need to happen to help them make the right choice.