Chapter 56

The following days she found herself disconnected from everything, her phone remaining unanswered and the emails unopened. She couldn't quite bring herself to admit that he had left in the middle of the night the way he had.

She sat on the ledge in the spare bedroom upstairs looking out of the window. Her fingers clasped around the heart that hung over her chest, turning it over and over as thoughts ran through her mind. Leaning back against the wall she wiped a tear from her cheek before hearing her phone ring again.

Ignoring it, she closed her eyes sighing as she continued to live in the bubble she'd created these past few days. Picking herself up from where she sat, she wandered to the bathroom running herself a bath.

Sam continued pacing back and forth across the floor of her office as the phone rang out yet again. He knew he was probably overreacting but he knew how hard she'd be taking it right now. Continuing with his walk, he looked across her untouched desk. Calling her again, he frowned when this time it went immediately to answer phone.

Moving quickly from the office Sam wandered down to the staff room grabbing his coat from his locker before leaving the hospital. His shift was over soon anyway but he couldn't face the thought of something having happened to Connie. He knew he was probably over thinking it and she was fine, but he worried.

Connie let the water run as she wandered to stand before the mirror. Her cheeks stained with the tears that had fallen before she leant over the sink washing water up over her face. Grasping the towel, she dabbed her face drying it off before looking at her reflection once more.

Her eyes fell to the letter which she lifted from the bathroom counter trailing them over as many of his words as she could again. Placing it down she turned to the bath switching off the taps before shrugging out of her dressing gown. Taking off her necklace, she lay it on the dressing table before shutting the bathroom door and sinking down into the hot water.

She couldn't hear anything outside of that room, the knocking on her front door something an entire world away. Sam stood outside, looking up at the house frowning before moving down towards the side gate. Pushing it he found himself not moving very far as of course she had it locked. Looking around, he reached up to the top of the fence beside him before settling his foot against the gate hoisting himself up.

Glancing over the gate he looked for something to hold onto before lifting his leg over the top. Hearing chatter from the street, he looked back with a friendly smile and a wave as they frowned worriedly rushing away from where he now sat on her gate. Rolling his eyes he grabbed hold of the fence the other side before jumping down to the ground.

Moving round to the patio doors, he shook his head as he opened them instantly. Shutting them behind him, he noticed everything in its place and untouched as he wandered through to the living room. Everything was empty as he frowned. "Con? Connie!?" When he received no answer, worry filled him piece by piece as he knew she was definitely home and would not be asleep at this time of day.

Connie lay back as the water quickly covered her chest and shoulders. Staring up at the ceiling, she let her mind drift away from everything that had been happening the last few days. Beginning to relax she realised the aching within her chest at how much she wanted to see Sam. She wanted him here with her. She felt guilty to be wanting that when she was upset about someone else, but maybe he had been right.

When you find the one you'll want nothing more.

She ran over his words letting her head fall back to the bath as she sighed. Settling down was something that had never been in her vocabulary not since the marriage to Michael had gone so wrong. Yet it was all she could seem to think these feelings for Sam were. She wanted to keep this to themselves for some time yet, but she knew it would become difficult and losing him wasn't an option. Taking a deep breath she submerged herself below the water, it came up over her head as she relaxed down into it, everything disappearing from her thoughts.

"Con?" Sam continued rushing upstairs until he reached her bedroom finding it empty. Moving closer to the bathroom he pushed the door open to see her below the water, a mixture of things flooding through him. "Connie!?" She came up quickly to see him standing in the doorway of the bathroom confused at what he was doing there. "Sam? What- Do I even want to know how the hell you got into my house?"

He sighed heavily as he turned to look back out of the bathroom, Connie instantly realising the thoughts that had been going through his mind. "Oh Sam, I'm so sorry... I-" "It's fine Con as long as you're okay..." She nodded as he smiled slightly beginning to wander out. "Wait downstairs?" Sam nodded pulling the door to as the relief flowed through him.

Ten minutes later and Connie was wandering down the stairs nervously. Sam stood looking out into the garden through the kitchen window as she bit her bottom lip pulling her sleeves down over her hands. "Feel any better?" She looked up nodding as he arched a brow. "Really?" Shaking her head he closed the space between them enveloping her in a hug. "Why'd he have to go like that? I didn't even get to say goodbye properly-" "Maybe he thought it would be easier for you both."

She shrugged remaining in his embrace as he ran his hands soothingly up and down her back. "He's still a dick for doing it." Sam laughed as he looked down at her before she frowned looking to him. "Did you really think I'd do something stupid?" He glanced away gritting his teeth as Connie sighed dropping her head. "That's a yes-" "I didn't want to believe you would, deep down I knew you wouldn't but I couldn't help worry. I know you and I know this hurts more than you'll tell any of us."

"If I promise to talk to you, will you promise to never think I'd do something like that again?" Sam smiled as he took her hands gently with a nod. "I promise... So, what's for dinner?" Connie arched her brow as he moved to the fridge to see she had nothing in. "Oh..." "I haven't exactly been keeping up with everything." Sam smiled as he watched her sit down onto the sofa. Glancing to the time he picked up her keys from the side catching her attention. "Relax, I'll be half an hour at the most... Figured I'd take these rather than jump your gate again and have to smile to the passing strangers like I wasn't breaking into your house."

Connie laughed as he disappeared through the hall and out the door. Laying back she sighed. This wasn't her, she wasn't the type to spend her time sitting around like this. She worked, and she worked hard to get through everything. So that's what she would do... She would build the barriers up, at least to everyone on the outside that's what they would see. A smile crossed her lips as she grabbed the cushion pulling it over her face, the smile she couldn't help when she thought of him.