Heath

Heath

Author: aphoros

Summary:

I was confused as to why I was still alive and sitting on a nice, leather couch with two werewolf bodyguards while the other eight sat across from me, sipping coffee and rubbing their eyes as we waited in silence."Why aren't you guys attacking me?"All ten of them stood up at the same time once the words left my mouth, and I leapt to my feet automatically, taken aback."What, so I just had to ask to be attacked?" I asked incredulously.Then they all sat back down so I was the only one still standing, and I blinked in confusion."Aren't we doing it now? Come on, someone punch me," I said, frustration leaking from my voice. It was no secret I dealt with violence a lot better than with civility."You, the one with the beard," I pointed at the man directly across from me, "Hit me across the face."The man with the beard looked uncomfortable, as if he was interested in the offer but at the same time afraid of actually carrying out. He glanced at something, or someone, over my head just as a low, controlled voice that sounded unnervingly close to my ear said from behind me, "They aren't standing to fight, carissima."I whirled around to see him standing behind me, so unexpectedly close I resisted the urge to take a step back. The only thing that stood between us was the sofa.His eyes dragged down my form in a purely examinational way, as if noticing I was mostly unscathed save for the blades of grass sticking to my hair, and his eyes met mine as he said, "Impressive jump.""What do you want from me?" I asked, my eyes flashing."I have a proposal for you," he answered.My anger waned for a second, momentarily being replaced by surprise, and I blinked at him.A proposal?I had expected something along the lines of "your life" or even "those combat boots you're rocking" but I certainly hadn't presumed he was trying to strike a deal with me."Sorry," I said, "but I don't marry guys who knock me out, quite literally, on our first meeting."