Chapter 9

Frustration starts to take hold of Nila since her friends still won't wake up. She walks over to Brice with a pillow in hand and hits him with it, hard.

"Wake up!" she whisper-yells and he does.

"Ow!" he shouts out.

Nila puts a finger up to her mouth and shushes Brice for being so loud. Brice looks up at Nila with a shocked look on his face. Brice's shout ended up waking the rest of the group and they slowly get out of their beds.

"What on Earth is going on, Nila?" Kaitlyn asks whilst rubbing the crust out of her eyes.

"Anna is getting surgery done right now!" Nila finally says, sounding a bit annoyed about all the time she had to waste to wake her friends up.

"Wait, what? What for?!" Riley uncrossed his arms and has a rather alarmed look on his face.

"I don't know but I heard Mr Wharren and Miss Chaucer talking..."

"What did they say?" Brice chirps in.

"It- it didn't make much sense but Mr Wharren said that we're not at the proper amount-"

"Amount of what?"

"I'm guessing the pills. That's the only thing we've had to digest, right? Anna's the only one that didn't go through with our plan. And I got you two," Nila pauses and points towards Kaitlyn and Riley, "involved in it while we were doing our intelligence tests."

"What plan?" Brice asks, confused.

"Oh, that's right. Wait a minute, if you were having the pills how come you weren't taken as well?" asks Nila.

"Th-that's because," Brice starts, he shifts his weight as he stands and starts to look uncomfortable, "I never ate...breakfast or lunch..or dinner."

Then it finally clicks and Nila's heart crumbles a bit. 'He was starving himself.' Nila's expression tells Brice that she understands and she looks as if she's about to say something but Brice shakes his head.

Nila slowly nods and proceeds back to explaining the conversation she overhead. "Miss Chaucer then went on saying that her clientele won't be happy about the delay of...I think, our surgeries. She then asked about about the "Redhead"."

"Anna..." Kaitlyn mutters.

"I'm going to go find her," states Nila.

"But what if you get caught?" asks Riley.

"Well, if they're not doing anything bad then what's there to hide? I'm just merely checking up on my friend," says Nila in an innocent tone of voice.

Her friends glance at each other worriedly until Riley breaks the gaze and steps forward. "Then, I'm going with you."

"Me too," adds Kaitlyn.

"Same here, something seems wrong," says Brice.

Nila smiles gratefully. "Okay then, let's try and stick together and not draw attention to ourselves," says Nila and she opens the door to peer out into the hallway. No nurses, doctors, Mr Wharren or Miss Chaucer are anywhere to be seen.

"Let's go."

------------------------

The group speed walk down the corridors of the medical centre looking for a sign or anything that might lead them to Anna's whereabouts. They have a few close calls with nurses and doctors strolling past them but usually they would either hide or pretend to be following behind another nurse. Nila fiddles with the diamond Mars necklace around her neck that Anna gave to her, worriedly. Hoping that maybe it's magical and would teleport her to her friend. If only.