Chapter 18

Nila waits hours for Adrian to return and so, in the meantime she figures she can take this as an opportunity to escape.

"A key, I just need a key" she murmurs, discarding all types of stationary across the floor and pieces of sketched artwork, muddled up over Adrian's desk. He seems to be pretty old school, Mars doesn't use paper anymore. They don't have the trees to do it. Would Earth have had paper? Oh yeah, that's right. The extinction of the human race on Earth was just an elaborate scheme, Eden was never burnt to a crisp. Of course they would have had trees.

The more Nila thinks about the ludicrous and cruel plan Miss Chaucer set in place, the more angry she gets about it. What's surprises her most, when she looks up onto the desk at a shiny, aluminium paint brush holder is her reflection doesn't seem to have literal steam coming out of her ears.

"Ah-hah!" Nila says in triumph, her anger subsiding into hope.

Nila's already tried to pry the vent from off the ventilation system high above the bookshelf by stacking heaps of books on top of each other in order to climb on top of the bookshelf, unfortunately, the world doesn't seem to want to work in her favour today. The vent as she figured, is bolted to the wall. With the stuff around her, she can't do much about that. Sadly, she's no Macgyver.

Nila scurries over to the door with a silver, quite peculiar looking key in her hand. The surface is as sleek and as smooth as a pebble and curved along the edges. Instead of having multiple jagged points at the end of it, they key merely has gold and black stripes on the end. Like that in an SD card or a USB. Nila squints her eyes at the tiny minuscule letters in black print below a tiny silver slit in the door. "Emergency lock," it reads and Nila can start to feel a glimmer of hope building up in her chest.

 "Emergency lock," it reads and Nila can start to feel a glimmer of hope building up in her chest

But that hope disappears just as quickly as it had arrived. She slips the key into the little slit however, nothing happens. Other than a big red, flashing light appearing on the pad Adrian would normally lay his hand on to open the door as usual. "ACCESS DENIED. WRONG KEY INJECTED." Say big, bold red letters on the screen.

A frown makes it's way onto Nila's face as she slowly turns around to face the back of the room. She glances down at the key, then towards the bathroom door before furiously pegging the tiny silver key at the floor.

CLANG! The key bounces off of the hard, wooden floorboards and smashes back onto the floor. The black and gold stripes now broken off of it.

Nila yells out and starts pummelling her fists against the Andursite door. "You can't keep me here!" she shouts to no one in particular.

Suddenly Nila gasps as the door starts to inch itself open and her eyes meet with someone else's stormy, washed out blue ones. On the other side of the door is an elderly woman, supposedly in her early fifties. She has under eye wrinkles deeply etched into her skin and three worry lines across her forehead. And her expression seems as shocked as Nila's.