Chapter 2

Nick

When you overhear someone talking about you behind your back, it's unsettling, to say the least. When you hear your wife & her ex-boyfriend talking about you behind your back it's downright fucked up. I heard Wilmer ask Demi why she was sad, which concerned me, but then I heard him ask if it was me. I tried not to show how pissed I was or show how hurt I was but I don't think I hid it well.

"Is what Nick?" I asked as I approached the table, irritated at how cozy they looked. I didn't like it, but I wasn't threatened by that. I was threatened by not knowing what Demi was talking to her ex about, especially if it concerned me.

Demi jumped a little when she heard my voice but Wilmer looked calm, almost annoyed that I interrupted them. She glanced at Wilmer, quickly, then bit her lip & looked back at me. She seemed like she was trying to figure out what to say. The more she was silent the more disappointed I became thinking she was about to lie to me. Finally, she spoke, truthfully. "I was just catching up with Wilmer."

"Okay, but I heard my name. I also heard Wilmer ask why you're sad & ask if it was me. So are you sad because of me?" I asked, feeling myself get tense.

 So are you sad because of me?" I asked, feeling myself get tense

"No. No. Not at all. You interrupted before I could answer him. It's not you. It's nothing. He was just speculating." Demi answered, stuttering a little, as she waved her hand, toward Wilmer.

"I'm going to go grab another drink, so you two can talk." Wilmer said as he stood up. "I'll chat with you guys later."

I nodded at Wilmer as he walked by me, then sat down next to Demi. "So, he asked why you were sad. I got the impression that you said you were sad or he guessed it & you confirmed it by the way he asked. Are you sad about something, Demi?"

Demi inhaled, slowly. "Okay, yes, he guessed that I was sad about something."

I pressed my lips together. "So, your ex knew you were sad about something, but I didn't notice it." I looked away, watching the people dancing, for a moment.

"I hid it. With Wilmer, I wasn't hiding because you weren't around. That's all. It's not some amazing thing that he noticed."

"But you are sad about something?" I ran my hand over my hair & cleared my throat.