Dreams Come True

Alexis paused and took a deep breath before opening the fitting room door and slowly walking toward the three-sided mirror at one end.

At least he would be out of sight if anyone else came into the store.

Approaching the mirrors, he noticed that he was walking with a shorter stride, one foot in front of the other, in a decidedly feminine manner, causing his hips to sway a little from side-to-side.

Where did that come from, he wondered.

"Marvelous, Alexis."

"It beautiful on you."

He realized Ann and Brianna had entered the dressing room area and were behind him making compliments while his mom stood stiffly off to the side. He turned and looked directly into his mother's eyes. Words froze in his throat.

Brianna stepped over and gently put her hand on Beth's arm. "Just look at him. It makes him so very happy. You really should consider buying one for him."

"Yes, he is telling you something important, something you do not want to miss," Ann added. "You need to be completely supportive."

Beth hesitated, glancing at each in turn. "Alexis, I don't understand all of this, and to be honest it scares me, or I should say, it makes me very nervous, but you had the nerve to get me in here and show me this, so clearly it's important to you. This goes against everything I've ever thought or believed, but I guess," she stopped and took a deep breath before continuing, "I guess I can get you one dress as an early birthday present."

This was unbelievable. "Oh, mom! That's awesome," he said anxiously.

Alexis began to feel drained as he returned to the dressing room.

Standing behind the closed door, a tear escaped the corner of one eye. He thought about what had just happened. After a few seconds, he began to take off the dress.

He was still finding it hard to believe this was actually happening and not another one of his vivid, nightly dreams.

"Alexis," Brianna called from the other side of the dressing room door.

"Ye-Yes," Alexis called back through the tears.

"Before you're done, I have one more for you to try on. My mom chose it and asked your mom if she thought you should try it. She was hesitant at first but finally said, okay . . . Do you see now what I told you?" Brianna handed the outfit over the top of the door as she continued, "Try this on for us."

Alexis took the outfit by the hanger and held it up to see what it looked like. It was a short, wine colored, lace dress with a black spaghetti-strap top, underneath.

At first look, Alexis noted this outfit was going to be much too short for his mom or even his liking. He shook his head and hesitated. He knew that if they approved of it, he definitely wanted to try it on.

Taking the two tops off the hanger he discovered underneath them a pair of shiny black Lycra tights. Probably slipped there by Brianna, he thought.

He smiled at this and breathed a sigh of relief. Quickly removing the first dress, he couldn't wait to get this new dress and the tights on.

Once he had the dress on and managed to get the tights on his legs, he took a moment to calm his nerves before he excitedly, yet nervously walked out of the dressing room and towards his mom.

He could see from the look on her face she wasn't really comfortable seeing her son in a dress and walking so feminine, but he could also tell that she was trying really hard to be supportive and not show her discomfort, even if it wasn't something she completely approved of.