Chapter 1

"WAKE UP!", Mrs. Cell yelled at me, "No food all week if you don't get up in the next ten seconds."
I glared at her.
"It's 4:00 in the morning." I said in my lazy voice. I fake yawned as loud as I possibly could.

My name is Myla. I live at an orphanage owned by Mrs. Cell. She's evil. I haven't been taken yet, and I'm glad. Usually if you are 'adopted' in Fryna (that's where I am), you get sold. I have blonde hair and deep blue eyes. That all means I'm worth a lot more, not to mention, I'm a girl.

"Myla, I'm going to kick you out of here in ten seconds if you aren't up." Mrs. Cell's voice rang in my ears.
"Ugh, fine." I rolled out of bed while groaning.

Bria stormed through the halls.
Bria was my worst enemy. She had bright red hair and green, determined eyes.
"I can't believe you, Myla! You stole my breakfast while I was doing chores with Mrs. Cell!" Bria yelled.
I was the best liar ever. I could keep my cool in the worst situations.
"No I didn't", I smoothly lied.

Here's the deal, we have a rich kid here. She paid me to get some more food for her. So, instead of giving her mine, I stole some. From Bria.
"I know you stole it and ate it!", yelled Bria in her most agonizing voice.

Why not have some fun with this?

I grunted. "I'll bet you a dollar I did not steal your food and eat it."

Well, I didn't. Allie, the rich kid ate it. I guess I would win that bet. Anyways, I'm a well known thief in Fryna, but nobody knows it's me.

"Alright, I'll go tell Mrs. Cell if you won't fess up." Bria said.

Bria is a tattletale. And Mrs. Cell loves Bria, so she believes anything Bria says. And if you get a punishment from Mrs. Cell, you won't live to see another day. I had to use Bria's weakness.

"I'll tell Ben. He wouldn't be proud, would he?" I said in my most mocking voice I could manage.

Bria loves Ben, and she doesn't want Ben to know how horrible she is. Ben is also an orphan. He's 2 years older than both me and Bria.

"You. Wouldn't. Dare." Bria whispered to me. "Fine, I won't tell. But you better not steal my food again, Myla!"
Bria kicked my leg.

That night, I was sneaking out through the window. I did this every night. In Fryna, I was a well known thief. But if course, nobody knew it was me, a fourteen year old girl. I grabbed Mrs. Cell's hat and put my long blonde, wavy hair up in it so that I looked like a boy. Nobody would know.

I went into the market and looked around. "Ey, lad. Whatcha need?", the shopkeeper asked me.
I had to get into boy mode. In my manliest, boyish voice, I said quietly, "Eh, just lookin."

Nailed it.

I grabbed the sack of bacon that I selected and hid it in my jacket. I took off in a sprint towards the orphanage, pushing with all my strength to keep running. Everyone saw me steal it. I heard screams behind me like, "Get back here, lad!" and "Son, when I catch you-!".

Well, I took a wrong turn, but eventually I turned up at the orphanage. I snuck in through the window, but everyone had their heads pressed thrustly to the door of our room. They were all focused on listening to what Mrs. Cell was saying downstairs. There seemed to be a man with her.
"Ah, yes." I heard Mrs. Cell say, "Blue eyes and blonde hair with a big, heavy jacket?"

That's me. He beat me here.

He must have worked at the market and saw me running here. There were whispers like, "They are coming up here!", which worried me. I put some fake drool on my lip and got under the covers in my bed, pretending to be asleep. So did everyone else.

The door slammed open with lots of force.
"All right, which one was it?" I heard Mrs. Cell say. I didn't dare peek at the man.
"That one." The man said.

Great. This is the end of Myla. I crossed my fingers. I hope he wasn't pointing at me.

Mrs. Cell got on her knees and tried to wake me up. I didn't budge, I knew what was gonna happen.
So she went to plan B. She screamed in my ear "Myla!".
I accidentally opened my eyes. No going back now.

"Yes, Mrs. Cell?" I said that like I had just gotten up.

I immediately recognized the man to be the shopkeeper that asked me what I was looking for.
"Did you happen to sneak out and, perhaps go to the market and steal something?" She asked in the voice you would try to calm a baby in.
"What?" I said, smoothly letting the lie bounce out of my mouth.
I yawned for emphases.

"Alright, well if she didn't do it, I must be in the wrong place." The man said.
He was a horrible liar, I knew what he was doing.
"In that case, I'm taking this one."