Chapter 3

We stopped at what looked like a Charleston market. The guards both worked on untying the ropes bounding my arms and legs together. Finally. He put chains on all of the girls hands and guided us inside.

I barely had time to insult the guards about being fat, ugly, ignorant, stupid, and whatever else I could come up with when we arrived inside.

At least 8 other girls were sitting down next to me. I stay in the middle of them all. This was odd. What is happening?There was a girl ordering the girls to go behind the curtain. She ordered the twins to go out onto the stage-thing outside. They went outside and I heard people yelling numbers. "30!" I heard a woman scream at the top of her lungs.

They were selling us.

When it was my turn, I didn't follow the girl's orders. I didn't know what to do. My arms were chained together, I couldn't fight. I figured out what to do at the last second.

She ordered me to come. Time to put the plan in action. I send my biggest spit-ball right to her face. Dang it, I missed. It hit the girl in the nose and she stuttered. I kicked her in the shin and ran. Not my brightest plan. I immediately had 3 men guarding me, pushing me out.

"You say a word, I'll cut off that tongue." The man whispered.
Well, that scared me. I effectively didn't say a word. There were people bidding on me. They weren't paying very much. Lucky for them, I was going to escape anyways.

"80!" a girl yelled.
"300." A man said loudly. That's more than triple what anyone else had been sold for. Great. The man had 2 ---- with him. I don't think I would be escaping any time soon. Next, the boys were being sold. I hoped Jaron would be sold to the same man.

Jaron.

I completely forgot about him. I was about to run off the stage and get the guards off my tail, but now I can't. Thanks a lot, logic. I'll think of something, but I have to stay with Jaron.

"Going once, going twice!" The announcer yelled, "Sold! For 300!"
If I had never met Jaron, I would have left by now. I would have run, escaped. Earlier, I snatched a key from the guy when he was chaining my hands. I pulled it from my pocket and undid the chains on my ankles and wrists. He's pretty dull if he didn't know I took it. I know I'm a great thief, but that wasn't my best work.

When I finished unchaining myself, the guards took me backstage. I had been sold for more than anyone else. Who would want me? I decided that I had no choice but to run. I brushed the hair out from my face and snuck out. I started to run out of the market, my blonde hair blowing in the wind behind me. I was free. I had to forget about Jaron.

The boys selling was coming, and Jaron was next. I stopped running and looked behind me. That was a horrible mistake. The man who had bought me was standing in front of me, vigils by his side.

Oh no.

The bread I ate earlier must have been drugged. I started to get drowsy. Next thing I knew, I was out cold.

I woke up. Great. I refused to open my eyes once more. I pretended to still be asleep. People were talking.

"Yes, I know. They said she tried to run twice. Shall we tie her before she wakes up?"

Not on my watch. I opened my eyes. They thought I was still asleep. I was in a small prison, alone. Everyone was standing outside. The rusty old door had a ginormous lock on it. I wasn't going to get out of here. I had to wait for them to open the door.

"It would be the safe thing to do. It's not like we need her to be happy with us." another man said.

Here's my chance.

The vigil worked on the lock. I closed my eyes and pretended to be sleeping. He picked me up like a sack of potatoes and flipped me over on the floor where I was sleeping. He put my hands behind my back and started to put the rope over them. Once I felt the fiber on the hard rope, I knew what I had to do.

I quickly got up and punched his jaw. He didn't stutter. I tried to kick him, but again, nothing happened. This man was made of iron. He started to laugh.

"Haha, this one tried to hurt me. I've never seen a girl do that before." he said mockingly. He said the word girl like you would say poop. I felt helpless, like a true girl. He tied me much tighter than I've ever been tied. It hurt really bad. He put three ropes on my hands and put a gag in my mouth. Although the gag was basically pointless, I had no intention to fight, I admired how stinky it was. These people know how to gag a prisoner.
"Come on, follow me."

I didn't have another choice but to follow him. I tried to protest, but my hands were tied behind my back and I had a gag in my mouth. What was I supposed to do? We all know kicking got me nowhere with this guy. He held on to my arm that was still tied tightly behind my back, and pushed me.

"Alright, now can we move her?" he asked.
"Fine, but let me escort her out of the dungeon." a man replied.
He pushed me thrustly up the dungeon steps and into a huge house. He put me beside three other girls. One was Bria. I knew this wasn't going to be good. Why would he chose us, three girls, to be his indentured servants? He undid the ropes on my hands just to retie them on me, bounding me to the staircase. Nobody else had ropes or gags like me.

This is where you will all be staying. I will explain more at dinner. You will each be given a maid to help you bathe and get dressed. I want you all down here at 7:00 for dinner, or else.

Message received. I guess these people can be pretty bad.