Chapter 6

Kohen sent us up to bed. We all stared at the spot where Kaia's bed used to be. Before Kohen killed her in less than ten seconds. I laid down on my bed, drowsily pulling the covers on top of myself. I couldn't wait for 1:00 in the morning. I would go see Jaron. I didn't have any trouble not falling asleep, I never go to sleep at night. I go during the day when nothing important is happening. But the night gives you opportunities to do whatever you want to do while everyone else is asleep. So, I stay up.

Any minute it would be 12:30. I decided I would go about 15 minutes early. I bet Jaron thought the same thing. I felt like he was my only friend. These girls obviously both hate me.

At the thought of how Clair and Bria hated me, I felt a knife at my back. I realized that a vigil had come in silently. He wasn't the one who took me from the stables, that was Akan. This one was Gobi. I hate this one. He obviously hates me too.

"Get up, Kohen's orders. He wants to see you in his office." Gobi told me.

Dang it. What did he want at 12:30?

He dragged me into Kohen's office. "What do you want so late at night?" I asked him with a glare on my face.
"Well, I see you didn't run off tonight. That's an improvement." Kohen said. "We're starting lessons tomorrow, as you know. Or, since its 12:00, it would be today. I want you to do your best, or you will be killed early for being useless. Understood?" he asked me.
I groaned. He woke me up for this? "Oh, and also, since I cant let you escape, my vigils will be on you at all times. You just look too much like the princess, it would be a real shame for you to run away. The others might not be able to pull it off." he winked at me. Gobi took me back to my room and let me sleep. Maybe I would have to go late to see Jaron.

At 1:15, I walked out of my room, my hair in knots. I went to the staircase and tried my best to walk as silently as I could. As I was halfway downstairs, I fell down. I got back up silently and cursed at myself for falling. When I was done nursing my feet, I walked around to fine Jaron. He wasn't here. Suddenly, a shadowy figure came running in the main hall through the kitchen.

"Sorry. Kohen was lecturing me about you. It's hard being a servant here.", said the shadowy figure. It was Jaron. He stood there panting and smiling. I smiled back at him and flung my arms around him. "Jaron!" I whispered. "Kohen gave me a lecture too, sorry I'm late. I fell down the stairs, so I'm really glad you werent here, anyways." I smiled and stopped hugging him.
"Well, I guess Kohen hates us both." said Jaron. I grinned.
"I've already got his funeral planned. I hope Gobi can join him in the gravestone too."

After a while, it was time to get back to bed. We said our goodbyes and separated. I went to bed and pretended to be asleep. The girls would wake up any second..

---------------------------------------------

"Alright. Ready?" my reading teacher asked me. We were all up and dressed already. First today was reading class, then fighting. Bria was a teachers pet. Me and Clair were actually reading while Bria was asking the teacher about her childhood and husband and other random girl stuff.

I admit, reading was hard. But I have lots of practice from being a thief. You have to read what your stealing, of course. Clair was the valedictorian of our class. She always bragged about it. I don't see why, it's not much of a victory.

Now was time for our fighting class. Apparently Princess of Fryna was a very good fighter. I bet I could beat her, easily. Let's see.

Gobi and Akan were letting us duel them. We needed a 3rd fighter so we each had someone to fight. Kohen came out and fought Clair. The other girls were horrible fighters. Finally, a class I'm good at. I had Akan pinned down with a sword to his throat in less than a minute. The other girls were struggling. I called Kohen to ask if I could let him go. I removed the sword from his throat and we started battling again.

This time, Akan actually lost some blood. I need a harder target, this is easy. Too easy.

Next class was horse-riding. This is gonna be easy. As they were explaining exactly what to do, I was busy choosing my horse. Midnight wasn't my favorite anymore, since the last time I used her it didn't go as planned. I got onto Midnight anyways. They were helping the other girls as I unlocked the stable and started riding.

I was a natural. Midnight was a hard ride, but I did it just fine. I ran around the track so many times that I got tired. Midnight was great at jumping. I decided I would put him up and watch the girls struggle for the rest of the time.

I laughed so hard the whole time.

It was really pathetic. Kohen let me eat early because (and I quote) 'They need major help'.

I was finished before they even started, so my maid told me to take a quick bath. While the tub was filling, me and my maid started talking. Just sappy stuff like,
"So, how long have you been a maid here?" and stuff like that.

When it was time to take the bath, I insisted on her leaving. I started to brush my hair, but I had a better idea. I climbed out the window to explore the outside gardens by myself. After at least half an hour, I climbed back inside to hear Gabrielle yelling my name.

"Myla, Myla!" she yelled.
"Yes?" I asked her through the door of the bathroom.
"Done yet?"
"Not yet, I must have fallen asleep." I said, while starting to scrub the parts of skin that showed through clothes. I started to soap up my hair as Gabrielle came inside. I thought the door was locked!

This was embarrassing. She forced me back into the tub so she could scrub me herself. I couldn't believe how much dirt had come off. Was that really all on me?