i || 2 minutes and 25 seconds.

"living in the moment.."

||||

2 minutes and 25 seconds that is all it takes to change everything. 2 minutes and 25 seconds ago the excitement of a new football season loomed over the anxious Cowboy fans. 2 minutes and 25 seconds into the first half, the large audience at AT&T Stadium falls silent. As their beloved quarterback lay motionless on the ground after a gruesome hit from a Seahawks linebacker. Tony Romo, who was coming off of a frustrating and injury riddled year, lays on the green turf gripping the blades in pain. The jumbotron's camera scans the crowd and everyone's emotion is the same: hopeless. Some fans even have tears in their eyes. 2 minutes and 25 seconds ago, none of them imagined this would be happening.

Finally medical trainers are able to bring Tony to his feet and shuffle him off into the locker room as the crowd erupts in applause for their fallen leader. A muscular but yet unproven rookie quarterback trots on to the field. As the crowd sends Tony off with applause, I cheer for the rookie. He truly earned his place on the field. None of the fans probably even know his name, but I do. dak prescott.

2 minutes and 25 seconds later. The rookie has his first NFL touchdown, it may only be preseason but still he had reason to be excited jumping up and down with the big offensive lineman. He scans the first row and finally meets my eyes. Although most of his face is hidden by his blue face mask, I can still see his gorgeous white smile shining thanks to the bright Texas lights. Perfectly straight and true his smile illuminates the stadium, shedding light on to the heartbroken fans.

He sprints over to me before he can get flagged for delay of game. "Thank you," he mouths to me as he reaches up and hands me his first touchdown pass ball. I hold on to it tightly and linger as our hands touch. My gaze stays on him as he runs back to the sideline, in fear of getting yelled at by his coach.

2 minutes and 25 seconds. That's how long it takes me to get to the locker room after the game ends. Families are patiently waiting outside of the locker room, all covered in their Cowboys gear causing me to stand out. I don't own any Cowboys apparel or accessories. When Dak was drafted in the fourth round, it was unknown if he would even make the team. So I came to the game in all black. Black attracts light, and Dak is my light. I wish I could say that Dak and I were married or engaged. But that isn't the case. Dak came into my life one day 6 months ago, and he hasn't left my brain since.

2 minutes and 25 seconds. That's how long I want for Dak outside of the locker room until his face peaks out of the metal door. His smile is full of teeth and his eyes light up more than a Christmas tree. "Hey, you," he saunters over to me. His hands find their rightful spot on my hips as mine go to his neck.

"Good game, babe," I say as his lips are so close I can taste them. He bites his lower lip, teasing me with the one thing I truly desire in this moment. He releases his lower lip and lets out a sideways smile. I tilt my head as my back still lay against the cold cement wall.

"The team is having a party tonight. Would you like to be my date?" he finally speaks. His face glimmers with a hint of uncertainty to my answer. I purse my lips at him as though I am contemplating my answer. "Please come. The guys just want to forget about everything that went down with Tony tonight. It won't be the same without you Layne," he begs me. I finally reveal a full smile.

"I'll come. It's not everyday that my baby throws three touchdowns in an NFL game. We are going to celebrate!" I say. I wrap my arms around his waist as he puts his much larger arm around my shoulder and leads me to his car.