ix || giving.

"the magic was gone. the love was gone.."

||||
I stared at the ticket in my hand. Flipping it over and twisting it around, trying to make up my mind. I hadn't been to a game since Dak was named starter and after that everything changed. But after Dak explained to me how important this game was, I felt like I needed to go as much I didn't want to.

I groaned and put the ticket down so I could get ready. I knew I had to go, Dak needed me there. I still didn't own any Cowboys attire, so I stuck to my usual black clothing. Especially now with a growing stomach and black being slimming, this was my best option. I dressed in baggy clothes, I didn't want anyone to suspect that I was carrying Dak's baby, what they didn't know didn't hurt them. Dak was a celebrity in Dallas, and I didn't want to be at the center of attention.

"Layne, are you ready?" Beth cooed. I had given her a key and she had put it to good use. I came out from my bedroom and she eyed me up and down. "Who died?" she asked.

"No one."

"You are dressed like you are going to a funeral..." she eyed my outfit again.

"And you are dressed like the ultimate fan girl," I jabbed at her. She proudly wore her Elliott jersey and a Cowboys baseball cap.

"Thank you!" she spun around, to reveal the Cowboys stars on the back pockets of her jeans. "Now, let's go watch Zeke kick ass!!" she clapped excitedly. I rolled my eyes and followed her to the car.

"What are you guys doing after the game?" Beth asked, as we pulled into our parking spot.

"Dak's parents are in town and he still has to tell them that they are going to be grandparents," I say, scrolling through my phone before getting out of the car. This wasn't a conversation I wanted to have in public.

"They don't know yet? What is he waiting for? You aren't going to stay tiny forever," she asked annoyed that Dak hadn't told his parents yet. She was right, my body was already changing. If I looked hard enough, I could see a bump and it was only getting bigger. "Ugh. Whatever, men are so dumb. Let's go!!!"

I always admired Beth's ability to shake off something that bothered her. If her and Zeke ever broke up, I think she would handle it much better than I did with Dak. The bubbly personality led me into the stadium, as she sang along with other fans to "We Dem Boyz"

We got to our seats and I could hear chatter all around us. Some stuck to watching the game but others focused on Beth and I. "Hey, isn't that Zeke's girlfriend?" "Yeah and that is Dak's."

"Just ignore them," Beth whispered in my ear and I nodded in agreement, shifting my focus to the game. #4 was running onto the field and the crowd erupted as their newly crowned starting quarterback took his spot in the huddle.

The whole city of Dallas was still stunned that Jerry Jones chose the rookie over Tony Romo, but they couldn't be mad at Dak. He was playing the best football of his life.Dallas loved Dak. It was obvious after the game.

We walked out of the stadium together, and Dak was officially a celebrity. Cameras were flashing from every direction, fans were chanting his name in unison, and a few 'Prescott' jerseys were being thrown at him to sign. While the cameras flashed, I made sure my stomach was covered. As he walked me out to my car he had to smile politely and deny fans of his wanted autograph. They won the game though so Dak was happy. "Are you still coming over for Thanksgiving dinner?" He asked, leaning against my car coolly. He smiled a half smile that used to make me swoon, but the magic in it was gone. The love was gone.

"I'm coming, but only so I can assure that you tell your parents about the baby," I explain. It felt strange being friendly with Dak, and not having the love that we once did. Once I got over the heartbreak, the transition to friendship proved to be easy. But still, I wasn't going to this dinner because I wanted to, and I needed to make sure Dak knew that.

"Understood," Dak put his arms up in defeat. I smiled softly. I knew this dinner wasn't going to go well, Dak's parents weren't going to take this news pleasantly. Dak turned to walk away but I surprised myself yelling after him.

"Hey! #4! Can I get your autograph?" His laugh was so pure and real.

"You wish! See you in a bit!" he laughed before turning back around to get back into the stadium.

Peggy and Nathaniel Prescott were already at Dak's apartment by the time I got there, and I felt my heart drop. I wasn't prepared for this, I wasn't prepared for any of this. But the sweet face that captured my heart and still held it captive appeared, walking towards me as I got out of the car. "Did you tell them yet?"

"No, I was waiting for you to get here," Dak whispered, fearful that his parents would hear him talking. He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his dark jeans, one of his many nervous ticks. "Let's just go inside..." Dakota led me to the door. Just as it opened he leaned over to me and whispered. "My parents still think we are together, so don't tell them."

"Mom! Dad! Layne is here!" Dak yelled, leaving me behind feeling stunned in the doorway, with an apparently fake boyfriend and a very real baby bump.

||||

It has been so long since I updated for you all but now that my first year of college is wrapping up that means I will more time to write again! So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VOTE! My goal stills exists and it is 40 votes and 20 comments! What do you think will happen with Dak's parents? How will they take it? What will happen with Dak and Layne?