viii || walks.

"all i see is him.."

||||

I had never quite experienced anything like a Dallas fall. I didn't think anything could be as beautiful as a Mississippi summer, but as the leaves began to change I was delightfully proven wrong. The air was so crisp and the chill in it was so fresh.  As time went on, the more Dallas felt like home and I realized I belonged here.

Dak had been doing great in his career and was being talked about by everyone in the state of Texas. I was proud of him, and it seemed like we were in a good place. He came over a lot, to make sure I was doing okay and the baby was fine. We had a long talk that night I fell asleep in his arms after being sick.

||||

I woke up with Dak's muscular arms wrapped tightly around me and my mind instantly was taken back to a few months ago. We woke up like this every morning, but now it felt foreign and wrong. I carefully maneuvered myself out of his arms and he didn't seem to notice. His face looked so peaceful when he was sleeping, I wondered what he was dreaming about and silently hoped it involved me.

I sat, watching him for a while until he finally stretched him arms, trying to wake them up. When his eyes slowly opened, afraid of the sunlight blinding him, he found me. I was sitting on the couch opposite of him and his soft lips revealed a small smile. "How did you sleep?" he asked, he sat up slowly.

"Fine," I said quickly. I hadn't slept that well since we broke up, but he didn't need to know that. "Dak..."

"Is something wrong?" he asked, quickly alert.

"We need to talk."

He looked at me, and the playfulness in his eyes disappeared and a serious expression quickly overtook the small smile. "What's going on?"

"It's just that.. I miss you. I miss you so much, and last night and this morning... well it felt like old times. I don't want to distract you from your career and I also don't want you to play with my heart. I won't have my heartbroken again because it is starting to heal. So things like falling asleep together can't happen again. I love you, Dak. But I also know what is best for me, the baby, and you. That can't happen again," I say slowly. I tuck a tuft of hair behind my ear. His face looks like he is thinking long and hard about what I said.

"I understand and it won't happen again. Just know that I am here for you,"  A sideways smile appeared on his face and this time I returned the expression.

||||

My mind often went back to that conversation because it was the first time I truly felt like Dak and I really understood each other since we broke up. My heart was completely healed now and we were both intently focused on football and our baby.

I was startled from my thoughts by a knock on my apartment door. "Come in, it's open," I yell as I finish lacing up my shoe.

"You know you shouldn't just leave your door unlocked like that, I could have been a killer or kidnapper or anyone," Dak strolls into the apartment.

"I knew it was you, you're always on time and we made plans," I say finishing my shoes. "Ready to go?"

"Yup," Dak walks back to the door he just came in. Recent trips to the doctor, suggested that I keep exercising and Dak made that a priority. We went to the trail that had become our usual walking spot, and began our walk. The trees had pretty much lost all of their leaves now and looked bare.

Our hands accidentally brush against each other and I'm surprised at the chill his touch sends through me and I'm suddenly aware that I'm not as over him as I would like to be. Truth is, I probably never will be over him. Everytime I look at our baby, all I will see is him and as time goes by I pray that these feelings go away, especially after our conversation.

"How has your week been?" Dak asked. His foot kicked a small rock in the middle of the path.

"It's been good. A little cold but good. I think I'm starting to show a little bit," I say gently putting my hands on my stomach.

"That's great, that means the baby is growing good then," Dak smiles.

"How was your week?" I ask.

"Stressful, everyone gets so worked up over the Thanksgiving game because everyone in America is watching. I just want to do well."

"You will do fine. You play football, and you play it well. Just relax," I assure him.

"What are your plans for Thanksgiving?" he asks., clearly changing the subject. I never like to press Dak on topics he doesn't want to talk about. He clearly talks about football enough at practice and sometimes he just needs a break, and that is what I give him.

I shrug, I hadn't really made any plans for Thanksgiving yet. "I'm not sure. What are you doing besides playing football?"

"Well, my parents are coming to town for the game and then my mom is cooking dinner. I figured I should probably tell them that you are pregnant..." Dak trails off.

"Dak! You haven' t told them yet??" I ask in astonishment.

"I was waiting for the right time," he sheepishly admits.

"What would that be? When I show up at their door with a baby in my arms?"

"Hey, that might actually be easier!" he says with excitement. I shove him and he pretends to lose his balance.

"That was a joke, you need to tell them and I will be there to support you but YOU need to tell them."

"Fine," he whines. Joking around with him like this felt like the beginning stages of our relationship before we both fell so deep and were lost in each other. It was refreshing, just like the cool Dallas air.

||||

Just a little filler chapter! But the next one is already written and as soon as we reach my goal of 35 votes and 20 comments I will post it! What do you guys think? What will Dak's parents think? What do you think of the way Layne and Dak are interacting? Will they continue being friends? Or something more? Something less? Let me know in the comments!!