xii. || one step

"I need her now more than ever.."

|||

One step after the other.

That's what I kept telling myself as I stood to her feet and pried Dakota with me out of the hospital.

The parking lot glistened, as our feet treaded through the small puddles left by an apparent storm on our way back to the rental car.

The morning sun was starting to rise, signaling the end to the longest night of either of our lives to this point. Dak softly placed the keys on my hand, knowing he was in no condition to drive. Truthfully, I wasn't much better than him but I decided I had to be the strong one.

"Where do you want to go? I'll take you anywhere," I stopped him before getting into the car, grabbing onto his bicep to get his attention.

Dak breathed in deeply before answering. He had no clue where he wanted to go. "Let's go to the hotel. I just need a minute before we go back to the house," he mumbled to me. I kissed his temple before finding my spot in the driver's seat.

When we got to our hotel room, Dak collapsed onto the bed. I could pretty much see his muscles relaxing as he melted into the soft mattress. He rolled into his side to the edge of the mattress, and allowed himself to sleep for a few minutes.

I didn't know how to comfort him. What was the right thing to say? Or do? He had always been there for me but how could I be there for him too.

I slipped off my shoes and crawled next to him. Putting my arm around him and stroking his stubbly face with my free hand.

He turned in my embrace to face me and that's when I saw the tears streaming down his face. I pulled him into me, closer.

"How am I supposed to go on without her? Why did she leave me so early?" he sobbed into my chest.

"I don't know, baby. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I kissed his forehead as he continued to let his feelings fall into my shirt. His sobs slowly faded into a whimper, until there was silence in the small hotel room.

He wasn't sleeping and neither was I. So I shifted to where I could see his face. "Dak, listen to me. Your mom, was an incredible woman. You were so blessed to have the time that you did with her. She will always be with you," I said in a cracking voice as I grabbed his hand and moved it to my stomach. "But I think she had to leave us now — because someone needed to be up there with our baby."

He sat up and wiped at his tears. He looked at me with wide eyes. The kind of eyes that he had when watching highlights of plays from the weekend. His hand rubbed my belly softly. "My mom is the first person that got to meet our baby."

He kissed my stomach before standing up and putting his shoes back on. He wasn't completely cured, I don't think either of us ever will be, but his sadness lifted a little in that dingy hotel room.

One step at a time.

That was I kept telling myself as we pulled up to Dak's childhood home. He needed to be there. It was the last place his mother was before the hospital. He needed to feel her again.

Walking into the Prescott residence felt like any other time I had been there. It still smelled of fresh apple pie, Peggy's shoes were still lined up nearly by the door, and the dishes still sat next to the sink waiting to be put away.

I clutched onto Dak's arm as he walked through the front door, signaling that I was there for him. He took another deep breath before finding his dad in the living room. His father was hunched over a box of pictures, examining each one carefully before placing it back in the wooden box.

Dakota took a seat next to him on the carpet and began to relive all of the football games, Halloweens, random pizza parties and every moment in between through the pictures.

I left the father son duo to mourn together and went to the kitchen to put the dishes away. That was the last thing Dak's father needed to worry about after we left. I was trying to keep busy - and not let my emotions get the best of me. The last thing Dak needed right now was an emotional pregnant woman.

After putting the dishes into their rightful spot, I returned to the living room to look over Dak's shoulder at the pictures.

He stopped on one from what looks like a high school version of the start quarterback.

"I remember this one," he said

"I remember this one," he said. "This was on parent's night. I remember mom giving me a hug before the game started and telling me she loved me but that I better not let my emotions get in the way of this game," he laughed a small laugh.

"Did you listen to her?" I asked and out my hand on his shoulder.

"He sure did. Three passing touchdowns, one rushing and 472 yards that night. He got us into the playoffs with that game," Nathaniel Prescott said proudly.

"Do you mind if I take this picture, dad? I want to have it with me in my locker. Mom has always pushed me — I need her now more than ever," Dak asked.

"Take whatever you want son."

Dak continued looking through the pictures. It seemed to be a sort of therapy for him. He checked the clock and frowned. Our flight was leaving in two hours and we needed to get going to the airport.

Before leaving, he hugged his father tight. "I love you dad. Call me if you need anything."

As we left his childhood home, Dak breathed in his mom's scent one last time before we got back to Dallas.

|||

Hi!!! It's been a while! I have been bored while in quarantine and rereading this story. It didn't feel right to not give Layne and Dak an ending to their story. I hope my readers are still active on here — but if not, at least this story will be complete.