xi || white roses and cheap wine

"i'm not fine.."

||||

Peggy and Nathaniel had gone home to Mississippi, after I assured them that I would take care of Dak. Dak's grief over the news of his mom having cancer turned from sadness to him trying to distract himself.

The last week, I spent every possible hour by his side, making sure he was okay, but he still was numb and weak.

I lightly pounded on the door of his apartment, but heard no sound. I wiggled the unlocked doorknob until it granted me access into the dark apartment. It didn't burst with Dak's intoxicating smell, which was the only kind of alcohol my doctor allowed me. I didn't think it was possible to smell depression, but his dimly lit apartment proved me wrong.

"Dak?" I called for the quarterback. A delayed mumble came from the bathroom. Looking into the bathroom, Dak was fixing the small amount of hair on the top of his head to part to the left. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to fix my hair. It won't sit the way that I want it to," he answered.

"Where are you going?" I asked, crossing my arms over my the emerging bump at my midsection. Dak turned from the mirror and looked at me, leaning securely against the wooden vanity. His look was serious and almost nervous.

"I have a date."

I didn't want them to, but tears emerged in my eyes and instantly fell onto my cheeks. I didn't know what to say, so I turned to leave. By the time I got to the front door, my fast tears turned into a sob.

"Layne! Wait!"

"Dak, I'm happy for you, really. It's just that, seeing you move on, hurts more than I could ever have imagined. You can just pick up and act like we never happened. It's been so painful being here, watching you grieve your mom's disease. I just thought that after spending so much time consoling you, that you wouldn't think of doing this," I turned again to the door.

"Layne, listen to me-"

"No, Dak. It's fine. We aren't together so I don't know why I care so much. I hope you have fun tonight. I really do. I hope she's the one. I hope you spoil her with white roses and cheap wine. I hope she falls for that smell that you know makes my knees weak. I hope she gets the chance to beat you in mini golf just as I did. And I hope you walk her to the door and kiss her shyly.... just like you did for me."

"Layne!" he called again, but by then I was already gone. I fished in my purse for the keys to my parked car, but my hands were shaking so much that they couldn't settle on anything that was swimming around in the black purse.

Finally my hands landed on the keys and I unlocked the car. Sitting down, I rewound what just happened. I really didn't have the right to blow up at him. We had been broken up for nearly two months now, of course he wanted to go on a date. It wasn't like he had a permanent scar of our relationship to carry around with him. If I weren't pregnant, I'd want to be going out with other people too.

Part of me thought about going back in and apologizing, but maybe what I really needed to do was get some space from Dakota. I didn't want to go home, I needed to disect my feelings and that wasn't the place to do it. I found myself driving to the coffee shop that Dak had taken me to in our first week in Dallas.

I grabbed a smoothie, since caffeine had been removed from my diet for the next 4 months, and found a table that looked over downtown Dallas. My mind flew back to mine and Dakota's first date. He ruled the school, as the quarterback he could have anything he wanted, even though he seemingly denied it.

Dak showed up at my apartment sharply dressed in khakis and a button down shirt. He had planned this extravagant dinner on campus, but I wold him I would rather do something more casual, and that's how we ended up at a mini golf course. He swore that he would win, which ultimately didn't happen. Afterwards, we grabbed dinner at a local Mexican restaurant and stopped at the drug store next to it. Dak ran off while I found wine. He came back with a handful of white roses and I held the cheap wine in my hand. Afterwards, we went to my apartment and popped open the wine. Over our second (or maybe third) glasses, his lips finally met mine for the first time.

I didn't remember driving home, but I somehow stood at my front door safely. I was in such a blur from my visit with Dak, that nothing seemed real.

I laid motionless on the couch, just as I had when I found out that Baby Prescott would be joining me. There was a knock on the door, which I assumed to be Beth. I texted her everything, and even after swearing that I was okay, she probably insisted on coming over.

I opened the door quickly. "Beth, I'm f-"

But I stop there.

"I'm not fine." he says. I stand frozen in the doorway, unsure of if this was really happening.

"What happened to your date?" I asked. Not bitter, but genuinely concerned that something was wrong with him.

"She wasn't you."

Not wanting to give him a chance to change his mind, I throw myself into him. He indulges me in his kiss for the first time in months. Nothing had ever felt more sweet. It was as if I gave him up for Lent, and it was finally Easter and I could have him back.

He dropped what he was holding and wrapped his strong hands around me. I reluctantly removed myself from him to see what had dropped. My cheeks burned red. "White Roses?"

He showed me his other hand. "And cheap wine. But since you can't have wine, it's really just sparkling grape juice." I pushed my lips against his again. All of the heart ache, all of the pain, was worth it in this moment.

I pulled on his shirt and brought him into the apartment, slamming the door behind me. He pushed me up against the door and I felt him rise beneath me as I wrapped my legs around him. We eventually found our way to the bed, and the for the first night in too long, we felt each other intimately again. No other feeling in the world will ever replicate the way that Dak made me feel in that night. The love. The bliss. The ecstasy.

But also the hope of a possible future with our pending family.

||||

What do y'all think? Are they good? Or is this just Dak coping with the news about his mother? Will they be a happy family or is this just a temporary state in their bumpy relationship?

ps.... there will be no new updates until the part reaches 40 votes. I'm sorry, I just put a lot of time into this story and it kind of has become my baby and I just want it to be appreciated! So please vote, comment, follow, message!