Saving Liam

-Reader-

Glancing to your left you saw your two best friends, Zara and Zodak Volt. The twins fought side by side as Zodak fired his blaster wildly, taking out Storm Troopers left and right. Shooting them down quickly and with furry while, Zara provided cover with her dual handguns.

A hard wave of nausea crashed down on you like a tidal wave as your thoughts briefly flickered to the terrible things that would most definitely happen to them if they were to be captured.

'Zara's pretty enough to become a concubine' you thought sadly.
With Zara's dark skin, eyes and hair, she'd be an easy candidate for the job.

'But she's much too strong-willed to fill that position' you quickly added to give yourself some sort of comfort that your friend just might have a chance.

'Zodak would be sent to work in the fields' you continued to think, cringing as your mind filled with images of the whippings he was sure to get from attempting to escape. For you know that he would do and try anything to get away and find his sister. She was all he had, the two of them showing up on your planet seaming by magic when the lot of you were only six.

"Mommy!"

The ear piercing terrified scream broke your train of thought as you quickly looked around for the source of the noise. Only to see nothing but fire, blood, and bodies everywhere you looked.

"Mommy!"

There it was again! You were growing frantic now as you couldn't seem to locate the voice. Then, the sound of violent crying caused your head to swivel to the right. There he was!
A little boy, no older than five stood in the middle of the battlefield.

His light brown hair matted with dirt and small cuts littered his cheeks as his wide green eyes poured out tears like a flood.

Sprinting to the boy, you scooped him up, holding him close, whispering sweet, soothing nothings into his ear as your eyes frantically worked to find another escape shuttle. To your horror, there was one left.
And it looked like it was leaving soon. You needed to do this, and you needed to do this fast.

"What's your name?" You found yourself asking the trembling child that you held in a death grip, trying to keep him calm as you plotted out the quickest route to the shuttle.
"L-Liam" He replied, rubbing at his eyes with dirty fingers.

"Liam, I need you to hold on really tight right now, okay?" you stated. Tightening you hold on him as you felt his tiny hands squeeze your tunic tighter.
With the path to the shuttle firmly in your mind, you made your dash to safety.

Dodging blaster fire and jumping over bodies as fast as you could, you soon made it to the shuttle that was already jam-packed with people. A young girl stood on the ramp, helping people inside as quickly as she could.

She stretched out her arms when she saw the two of you and just as you stretched out Liam to meet her hands, a cold robotic voice filled your ears.

"Put. Him. Down."

Fear should have filled your heart, but you only felt determination.

All you could think about was saving Liam.