Chapter 7

All eyes turned to Z as he spoke those words. It seemed to take them all a moment to realize, with a shocking sensation, who he was. The crowd parted and made a large circle around him. None spoke, as if he threatened that the first one to speak died. He started to stalk forward as cats adverted their gazes, not wanting to end up as a limp body on the ground like so many others had. A shudder passed through the town, as everyone anticipated the next event, some with scorn, some with hope. He also didn't want to look at anyone. He would be too distracted if one of his worshipers started staring. He simply just looked ahead, not taking his eyes off the sword hovering dangerously close to the calico female. Her name was Fern if he wasn't mistaken. The one holding the sword lowered it so it grazed Fern's neck fur. Z stopped walking and eyed him wearily. He was the one with the amulets looped around his neck, some catching the glare of the rising sun. Z thought fast, knowing a valuable life was at stake. "You're the Mayor, right?" Z asked, looking at the plump, jewel embedded fool still standing up there. "I am." He said after a pause. "Alright then, I challenge you to a duel. The winner gets to be Mayor, okay?" The crowd gasped is surprise and awe. The Mayor chuckled, the amulets clattering together. It was like a forest of necklaces. He wished the Mayor had fleas, then he could end his itchy misery. Do I have fleas? He thought. Z decided on no, he didn't have fleas. He snapped back to attention as the Mayor finally spoke again. "You expect me to fight you? Only town citizens are allowed to challenge me for my throne, and you don't have town blood!" The Mayor scoffed. His face was so glad with himself that Z wanted to shred it up. The white furred outlaw swished his tail, thinking hard. "Well, I have lived in this village as a kitten. I grew up when my brother took me into the woods one day. My parents were town blood, so why ain't I?" Z replied in his sincere sounding voice. The Mayor frowned, looking worried. "Again, I challenge you for throne as Mayor. Right now." Z blinked as the Mayor of the village put to sword on the ground. "First one to be pinned down wins, otherwise you would obviously prevail." The Mayor hissed, crouching into an attack position. "Bring it, lardo!" Z taunted, standing tall. The Mayor dashed at him, black pelt blurred. Z, undaunted by his speed, rolled to the side to dodge. The Mayor let out a his of irritation when he did so, and whipped around, leaping at him with a yowl. This time, Z reared up to meet him. He struck out a fast blow, catching him on the side of the cheek, causing the Mayor to falter and miss his strike. Z knew he wasn't very good at physical combat, but he didn't let that fact faze him.
The Mayor tackled him, but Z went limp and rolled with the impact. They both unlatched from each other. The two enemies, their fur ruffled up, began pacing a circle. The first one to leap would give the other the upper hand. But, clearly, the Mayor didn't know this, and leapt at Z with a yowl. Z reared up and lashed out. The Mayor slid on the ground and fell over with a thump. He looked like a lump of black fur from a bear. Z took his chance and kept him down. He pressed his paws into the span of his shoulder blades until he couldn't move. "Does this mean I win?" Z asked with a smirk, pressing harder. The Mayor let out a little growl, not wanting to give up. He didn't get a choice in the matter. Z released his grip and walked up to Fern only a few feet away. Blood dried on her chin, as if she had bit someone on her way out. "You're Fern, right?" Z asked, sizing up the wood block. "F-fernian actually... Are you really Z?" He nodded before saying, "Don't move." He pressed his paws in a few indents and pushed. The block slid and thumped to the side. Fernian looked relieved to stretch as she stood up and wiped her face off with a fluffy, brown paw. She looked like a cotton ball, except brown, peach, and black splotches. Z turned away from her and faced the crowd. He guessed most of the town was there, thank God no children. "I, Z, new Mayor of Redwood Village, allow all of you a gift. You have a week to gather your things if you so wish to. This is now Z's Land. And when you leave tell everyone not to come here. I don't tolerate trespassers." He finished with a lash of his tail. When he looked back Fernian, was being savagely hugged by Oliver, his orange pelt engulfing her. Z glanced back and noticed half the mass of cats were scurrying away like mice. He suddenly noticed something in the distance. Squinting to get a better look, he identified it as a golden object. Before he could go to investigate he heard a chatter. "No, please! Stay away!" Z looked to his left. The ex-mayor was backing up, Miuky prowling towards him. A growl was echoing through her throat and her eyes were slits. The plump black male seemed terribly frightened as she got closer. Soon enough he turned tail and ran. Miuky noticed Z sitting alone and went over by him. "Why did you lie to me?" She asked, trying but failing too hide her sadness. Z looked away before replying, "I thought you would turn me in." He said with a shrug. "Now why would I do that?" She protested, a scowl on her face. Z heard something. "I didn't even know what the legendary Z looked like!" She talked on and on.
"Shh!"
"Do not shush me, Z!"
"I mean it be quiet!"
"Am I not good enough to speak in your presence, oh great lord?"
"Miuky!" Z hissed, putting his black paw over her mouth. She looked genuinely disgusted at the smell of blood on his paw. She pulled back and stuck out her tongue but said nothing. Hmmf... Hmmmf... The sound hummed in his ears. Miuky seemed to hear it too, craning her ears around. Slowly Z stood up and followed the noise, his cream colored companion at his side. Hmmf... Hmmmf... The noise got louder. It sounded like a ringing. The twosome made their way across the square and into a dark corner. Nothing there. The noise stopped. "Did you hear that too?" Z asked just to clarify. "I did but I don't know what it is." Miuky replied, looking concerned. Z huffed a sigh. "Where's Lilly?" He asked, looking around. "She's with Oliver and Fernian. She told me their names before she left." Miuky said proudly, feeling important. "Okay. From now on, things are going to change."