Chapter four.

Senior year.
Chuck's POV.

'I'm very disappointed in you, Charles.' Miss. Franklin starts out. 'At the beginning of the year you applied yourself with assignments.. but now you're slacking. And your grade is showing that.'

I sigh. 'I'm sorry, I've been busy with football.. I will try harder.'

She gives me a small smile. 'I know you will.'

'Great. Can I go to my next class now?' I start to stand up but she holds up her hand.

'Not quite. I have a motivation tactic for you to try out.' She taps a pointy red fingernail on her chin.

'Okay..?'

She smiles, maliciously. 'If you don't pass my next two tests and the upcoming midterm, you will be kicked off the football team.'

My jaw unhinges. 'You can't do that.'

She raises a drawn on eyebrow. 'Yes I most certainly can. I will have a talk with Coach McKinsey and I will keep him posted on your grades.'

'But-'

She shakes her head. 'I've given you time, Charles. Your clock has run out. Take responsibility for your actions and find a way to get your grade up.'

I stare at this devil of a woman like she has two heads. One part of me wants to break down crying and beg her for mercy. The other, more powerful part of me, wants to pick her scrawny ass up and throw her through the window.

'You're dismissed, Mr. Hamilton.' She waves a hand dismissively, like I'm inconveniencing her.

I scoff and slam the classroom door on my way out.

*~*~*

My tray hits the table with a great force when I sit down for lunch. I ignore the curious stares of my friends and begin to viciously eat my hamburger.

'Dude, what did the burger ever do to you?' Tyson asks, mocking seriousness.

I roll my eyes. 'Miss. Franklin told me that if I don't get my grade up in her class that she's going to get me kicked off the team.'

Everyone at my table; Peter, Tyson, Dante, Dante's girlfriend Tianna and Luke, all stop talking and gape at me.

'How can she do that?' Dante asks.

I shrug. 'She says she can, with coach's approval.'

Peter shakes his head. 'I don't think he'll go for it, do you?'

I frown. 'I sure hope not.'

'Did you see the official schedule was posted?' Luke mentions.

I shake my head. 'Who's our first game?'

'Richmond.' He mutters with a deep frown.

'Shit.' I curse. Richmond went the whole way to the championship last year. We played them and barely won with a field goal in overtime. Word around town is they recruited some private school kids, to amp up their team even more this year. Coach says they're our only challenge this season. 'I have to play in that game.'

'Yeah we won't win with our back-up quarterback.' Tyson grumbles.

'Well no shit. Our only one is a sophomore. But my sandwich has more meat in it than he has in his entire body.' I place my head in my hands, defeated.

I need to pass these next two tests. I've only just barely passed three tests this whole year.

'Just study your ass off.' Luke suggests. 'I would help you, but I'm not even in calculus.'

'Same.' Dante agrees.

I look to Peter. 'How about you?'

He shakes his head, 'Dude I'm barely passing, myself. And I cheat off the girl in front of me to even have that grade.'

'Who?' Tyson asks. 'Because I cheat off of the girl in front of me too.'

'That girl Ashlyn, you know, with the scary sexy eyes.' Peter describes her.

'Oh yeah, well I copy off Chuck's girlfriend.' Tyson teases.

I roll my eyes. 'Melanie's not my girlfriend.'

'No, but you wish she was.' Peter scoffs.

'Oh yeah? Is someone jealous?' I growl at him, suddenly growing irritated.

He smirks. 'Been there, done that. You can have my sloppy seconds. Oh wait,' He pauses as a sickening smirk finds his lips. 'You tried but she rejected you.'

'You know what Peter? Fuck you.' I stand from the table and storm out of the cafeteria.

*~*~*

'Take it easy, Chuck. You don't want to over exert yourself.' Coach tells me after I add ten more pounds to each side of the bar.

I lay on my back and look up at Tyson as he spots me. 'I can handle it.'

'Alright, lets see it.' Coach challenges me.

I suck in a breath of air and lift the bar. My biceps strain and burn as my triceps twist. I pump the bar down to tap my chest and then back up until my elbows are straight. Just to prove my point, I do ten more reps.

I blow out my breath. 'See?'

Coach smiles. 'Now put that much effort into your school work and the world would be at peace.'

I place the bar into its holder and sit up. 'You're really considering that bitch's offer.'

He frowns and points a finger at my chest. 'Watch your language young man. That woman may be irritating you, but she is someone in higher power than you. You will respect her or your grades won't be the only thing that gets you kicked off this team.'

I gulp. 'I apologize sir.'

He straightens, 'I was on the fence about it. But this has made me see clearly.'

I run my fingers through my sweaty curls and unconsciously look over coach's shoulder to catch Melanie watching the scene unfold.

'You will agree to Miss. Franklin's terms as she told you. Until then you will not be playing any football.' He crosses his arms.

'Not even practice?' I stand up and utter in disbelief.

'You will practice for the most part, but you will not participate in any scrimmages or games until you meet her standards.'

I drop onto the lifting bench, feeling more exhausted from this conversation than I did while I was working out. 'If that's what needs to be done.'

'Of course this is what needs to be done.' He looks me dead in the eye. 'It doesn't matter how good you are at playing the game, if you don't have the good grades to back it up, no college will accept you.' He shakes his head. 'You deserve to have your pick at any college in the country son.' His hand lands on my shoulder in an act of comfort, 'I know you can do it, Chuck. It's up to you to prove it to the rest of us, that you can.'

I stand up in front of the only man who's ever had faith in me. 'Thank you sir.'

I hold out my hand for him to shake, but he slaps it away and pulls me in for a hug.

'Anytime, son.'