Chapter eight.

Chuck's POV.
Senior year.

'Great work tonight boys. Now go home and get some rest.' Coach says, dismissing us.

When the rest of the boys disperse, I start looking for Melanie. We need to discuss when we are starting the tutoring.

'Good luck bro.' Peter says to me hitting my back. 'And I'm sorry about today at lunch.. I guess I'm just a little jealous still.'

I quirk an eyebrow, 'Jealous of Mel and I?'

He just sighs and repeats, 'Good luck.'

I watch him walk away. Confusion runs through my body. Does Peter still have feelings for Melanie? They haven't went out since freshman year. Does Melanie still like Peter?

Oh god I sound like a girl.

'Chuck?' A sweet voice calls for me. 'You ready?'

Turning and noticing her olive skin glowing against the last few rays of evening sun makes me smile. She smiles back causing an eruption in my chest.

I nod at the beautiful brunette. 'Are we starting now?'

She nods. 'You need all the help you can get, according to your homework attempt.' She holds up the sheet of homework that I started but couldn't finish because I didn't understand it.

'How'd you get that?' I grab her arm, stopping her from walking. 'Did you go into my locker?'

She smiles a shy smile. 'Maybe.'

I raise my eyebrows, challengingly. 'You did!'

She laughs and I feel myself slipping into her spell all over again. 'What are you gonna do about it?'

I smirk and step closer to her. 'Nothing, beautiful. Nothing at all.' I walk ahead of her, leaving her pretty little mouth gaping behind me.

I call behind me, 'You coming Mel? Calculus isn't going to teach me itself!'

An adorable laugh sounds behind me until I see her fall into stride beside me.

I'd give anything to be able to hold her hand right now and not have her pull away.

*~*~*

We're sitting at our town diner, munching on fries and sipping on chocolate shakes, while Melanie pounds calculus into my head. We sat on the same side of the booth to make it easier for her to teach me.

'I just don't get it.' I grumble and hide my head in my hands. Every guy loves looking stupid in front of a pretty girl.

Her hand comes down on my shoulder, 'You can do it, Chuck. I know you can.'

I look up at her when her lips tip up into a reassuring smile. Her hand moves soothingly over my sweatshirt. I resist the urge to hum in appreciation.

'Now lets try this one again.'

I mumble an excuse, 'I don't wanna.'

She sends a smack against my upper arm. 'Chuck, come on.'

'Can't we take a break?'

She rubs her temples and I feel guilty for irritating her. 'If you get this last question right then we can.'

I nod, agreeing. 'Okay, tell me again.'

'Okay, you use this formula.' She writes a complicated array of numbers and letters on my worksheet. 'Then you plug in each number according to the word problem.' She hands me the pencil, 'Go ahead. I'll help you along the way.'