Chapter fourteen.

Chuck's POV.

'Mel?' I called from the other side of Ashlyn's bedroom door after checking the bathroom and not finding Melanie.

'Yeah?' I barely heard her whisper in response.

I cracked the door an inch, 'Can I come in?'

She cleared her throat, then spoke. 'Yeah, sure, whatever.'

I pushed the rest of the way in and shut the door behind me. 'Hey.' I said when I saw her sitting on a bright pink bed holding a white teddy bear. She looked up at me with swollen flushed cheeks and red eyes. 'Have you been crying?'

She shook her head and looked down but didn't utter a sound.

I sat on the bed next to her and placed my hand on her knee. 'Melanie, you can tell me anything. What's wrong?'

She shut her eyes tightly. 'Nothing, I'm overreacting.'

I didn't realize my hand was rubbing her lower thigh and knee until she placed her hand on top of mine, stopping the motion. She looked up at me again and her eyes sparkled.

'I've just been dealing with some stuff lately. But I'm fine.' She gave me a sheepish smile.

I curled my fingers with hers. 'Mel, you help me with my classes, you help me with personal issues. The least I can do is hear you out when something's bothering you.'

She smiled a small smile but it still made my breath catch. 'I guess you could say I have a crush.'

My heart plummeted and I thought I was going to be sick. 'A crush?' I blurted, 'On who?'

She bit her lip. 'I'm not ready to tell him.'

'Why not?' I pushed. Who the hell did she have a crush on now?

She sighed, 'Because he's my friend and I don't want to ruin our friendship if all I feel for him is a silly crush. Once I figure out exactly how I feel then I'll tell him,' She bit her lip nervously and then added. 'I think.'

'Oh.' Was all I could force myself to say. Did I lose my chance?

'Anyways,' She pulled her hand away from mine and turned to me her facial expression more excited. 'How was talking to Katy?'

I completely forgot why I was up here! 'It was um, interesting.'

Her eyebrows furrowed. 'Interesting How?'

I shrugged. 'She wants to meet my girlfriend I told her I have.'

Her lips parted and she narrowed her eyes at me. 'You have a girlfriend? Since when?'

I chuckled and shook my head quickly. 'No Mel, I don't have a girlfriend. But I didn't want her to know that I lied so I made one up, sort of.'

'What do you mean sort of?'

I blew a harsh breath past my lips. 'I kind of told them my girlfriend was you.'

Her eyes immediately widened and she stared at me in shock. 'You told them what?!'

'I know, I know! I'm sorry! But it just came out and I couldn't take it back so she sent me up here to get you.'

She placed her hand on her forehead like I was giving her a headache. 'Oh my god Chuck.'

'We just have to talk to her for a few minutes and then we can come up here and watch a movie or something.' I tried quickly to convince her. 'She can't know I lied now.'

'What the hell am I supposed to say to your ex girlfriend?' She said exasperated.

'Just be yourself, she'll love you.'