2

As Louis dressed for the upcoming day, she found herself a bit restless. Someone from her pack would be leaving her to join another tomorrow.

She had set up a bedroom with a large enough bed for three bodies to rest in the pack house in case they needed to rest before going back to their pack. The pack house was a place where the Alpha and his family, and guests stayed.

The pack house was also a place of sanctuary and play. There was a large playroom for children, a movie room, a large den for the adults of the pack to unwind and a large pool in the backyard. Louis loved it, it was the home she grew up in, and was where she was born.

But, it was also where her mother passed.

Louis sighed, shaking the thought from her head. She couldn't let herself go down that road. She had to be strong. She didn't have time to mourn her mother, but that was alright. Her father was mourning enough for the both of them.

His den was on the top floor, taking up the whole space that was originally made as an attic. It was large and fit for the leaders of a pack.

"Louis?" A voice called from the door, knocking on it. "Are you ready?"

Today, though, was Tommy's birthday.

He would be turning four, and Louis had made sure that everything would be perfect. The little one was exceptionally excited, had been rambling his head off all week about it to who ever would listen to him.

With his new obsession with transforming into his wolf, Louis had decided to have a nice barbecue with the pack outside of the pack house. The summer was winding down so it wasn't as hot as before, but they all had enough body heat that if they wanted to jump in the pool they'd enjoy it comfortably.

Louis checked her full length mirror before she walked out of the room. She was wearing a pair of shorts and a tshirt, her hair pulled into a high bun at the top of her head. She didn't bother with shoes, had been known for hating them since she was only a baby, and stepped outside.

Collin was waiting outside, arms crossed as he leaned against the wall. "Good morning, Louis."

"Hello, Collin." Louis yawned, rubbing at her eyes. "Where's Tommy?"

"Trisha has him." He smiled at the mention of his mate. "He's very excited. She was getting him dressed and he kept transforming as she was doing it."

Louis laughed at that, knowing that he had ruined many nice outfits from doing that. He had a bit of a hard time controlling himself as a were, and would repeatedly transform whenever he was exceptionally excited.

She followed the beta to Tommy's personal playroom, where Trisha was chuckling down at the wolf puppy.

"Tommy," Louis giggled, shaking her head. The little wolf's tongue flopped out of his mouth, racing toward his big sister who scooped him up immediately. She tickled at his belly, smiling when he transformed right in her arms. "you're so silly."

"You're silly, sissy." He giggled back. Trisha handed Louis the clothes she was attempting to put on him, and Louis gave her an apologetic smile in response.

"You're fine, Lou." She laughed, good natured. "He's a darling. Reminds me a lot like you at his age, if I'm honest. I was only fourteen but god, you were a damn tornado." They shared a grin with each other before the woman patted her shoulder. "I'll go make sure everything's finished in the back. See you outside, you two."

"Are you excited, little one?" Louis questioned, placing a kiss on his forehead before putting him down, letting him step into his shorts and shirt by himself.

"So excited sissy!" He cheered. "Is papa comin'?" Louis tried not to let her smile drop at the question.

"I don't know buddy, Papa's still sick, remember?" Tommy sighed but nodded his head, telling Louis he understood.

He was such a good boy, and Louis adored him. She wasn't sure how she would have gotten through all of her recent hardships without her little brother.

And she was happy she'd never have to find out.

-

It was well into the party when it happened.

Louis had been helping Thomas out together one of his toys, when she heard two things at once.

By the house, there was the sound of a door opening and closing.

By the woods, there was the sound of twigs cracking and bushes moving.

Louis moved immediately, scooping Tommy into her arms as she stood defensively toward the forest. She knew this wasn't a pack member because she couldn't recognize the scent.

But, she could recognize the scent behind her.

"Stand down." Her fathers voice echoed through the yard. Everyone who had stood defensively toward the forest turned to look at him as if he was nuts, but were quieted once they saw his expression.

His eyes were pitch black, and he took a large inhale. Louis locked eyes with the seer, only to be met with a minuscule nod.

Her father had woken from his den because his second chance was here.

After five months of wallowing and going in and out of a severe depression from her mothers death, her father looked just as he had before it all happened.

It made Louis' heart race.

A dark brown wolf entered the yard, head bowed in submission.

"Let's enjoy our food in the pack house, yes?" Louis looked around the full yard. Immediately, pack member began to quietly enter the mansion, one by one until only Tommy and Louis were outside with the two surprise guests.

As Louis walked toward the door, she stopped and placed a hand on her fathers shoulder. He flinched, obviously not used to human contact.

"We love you, papa, and we will always stand by you." She pressed a kiss to his forehead, and with a final wave from Tommy, took him inside.

Things were finally starting to look up.