3.- Faking it

A dedication to @silversun_ for interviewing me! If you'd like to know more about me check out the interview at the account of @SweetandSourBookClub or you can find the link on the side.

----

Brooke’s POV

There was an awkward silence between us as I slowly walked around, exploring Aiden’s bedroom. My new bedroom. It didn’t feel like mine though. Aside from the fact that his scent was all over the place, it was obvious that I didn’t belong here. An uncomfortable thought occurred to me, this could have been the same room he shared with his mate. I couldn’t bring myself to ask him about it, in case he confirmed my thoughts.  

Aiden was leaning with his back against the door, hands folded in front of his chest and legs crossed. His eyes were on me the whole time I was pretending to look around. When in fact I was finding it hard to concentrate on anything else because of his penetrating gaze on me. He hadn’t said a word, which was making this situation extremely awkward. I felt out of place and his silence was killing me, but I didn’t dare to be the first one to break the silence.

Ethan had left after I convinced him that I really wanted to stay here, with Aiden. The regret of not taking him up on his offer to take me back settled in. Now I was stuck here and there was no turning back.

Finally, after what felt like hours had passed Aiden cleared his throat. “Do you have any questions about the deal?” he said, in a business like tone all Alphas used when talking strictly about the pack.

The first words he utters to me when we’re alone are about the stupid deal. Nice. Getting along should be fun…NOT.

“No, it’s crystal clear,” I said curtly.

“Good.” He pushed himself off the door and walked over to another door across the room. He opened it to reveal a walk-in closet. “They’ve made some room for your clothes inside my closet and the bathroom is over there,” he said, pointing at yet another door in the room.

“Alright, thanks,” I nodded and let yet another awkward silence fall. Was he going to stand in the room the whole time or was he leaving so I could unpack?

Never before did I have a problem getting along with other shifters, but Aiden was making it hard to even start up a civil conversation with him. He was all formal and distant, very distant.

Aiden’s movements got me out of my thoughts. He looked like he was going to say something, but decided against it. Not wanting to make the situation any more awkward than it already was, I acted as if I didn’t see it.

I looked around the room again, desperately in search for something to say. The king sized bed in the middle of the bedroom caught my attention.

“What are the sleeping arrangements?” I asked, in an attempt to strike up a conversation again and at the same time I actually did wonder where I was going to sleep. I was told before that I had to share a room with Aiden so no one would suspect anything, but there was only one bed in the room. Michael’s face crossed through my mind. Sleeping with Aiden wasn’t part of the deal. At least no on pointed it out.

His eyes followed my line of vision. When I turned around to face him I noticed his eyes had darkened slightly. Not out of lust, like Michael’s eyes always did, but out of anger. Was it something I said?

“Look, just to be clear.. inside this room we don’t act like a couple, because we are not together. Inside this room you’re on your own. That means you sleep on the bed and I’ll take the couch,” he said angrily.

For a second there I was too stunned to react. He thought that I was implying we were going to share the bed together. Has he lost his mind? Out of everyone he was the last person I expected to think something like that of me. We were basically the same. We both lost our mates and were both forced into this situation.