Home

So instead I say nothing. I turn back to Elijah and smile.

"Take me home?" I request, and he nods.

"Would you like to pack anything?" He asks, and I shake my head. 

"I don't have anything I need to take with me," I reply, smiling at my brother, well I think of him as a brother, much like how I think of Kol and Finn, and of course Rebekah as my sister. Despite Klaus being my love, I always feel like I could trust Elijah with my life. 

Then I turn to Alice, wanting to say goodbye, but she's glaring at me. So is Rosalie, but Emmett and Jasper just look confused. Esme and Carlisle look as if they are suffering a terrible loss, and Edward... The look on his face is just one of sheer pain. 

"You were meant to be my friend, Bella," Alice speaks up, her features softening. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I'm so very sorry." 

She runs to hug me, and pulls me into a stronger embrace than usual. I hear and feel my ribs cracking. Alice backs off immediately at the sound of Elijah's growl. "It's okay," I murmur, feeling my ribs heal. "I heal quickly." 

She nods, and hides her face in Jasper's shirt, but it seems like she's smirking.

The bitch broke my ribs on purpose! 

"Keep in touch," I say as I turn to hug Carlisle and Esme. They smile at me, but sadness clouds their eyes. 

"Of course," Esme smiles tightly. "Always."

"Good luck Bella," Carlisle whispers, pulling me into a fatherly hug. "We'll never forget you." 

Emmett and Jasper don't make a move towards me. "Goodbye Bella," They chant, and I nod. 

"Edward..." I murmur. 

"Don't," He chokes out. "Don't say goodbye. Clean break, remember?" 

"Clean break," I reply, my voice shaking. "I'm sorry." 

"Me too," Edward smiles sadly. "Me too..." 

Elijah appears in front of me and guides me out the room, and then out of the house. Carlisle and Esme follow us, waving as we drive away. 

Then I break down, crying my eyes out in the front seat of Elijah's car. A consoling hand gently rubs my back, and finally I look up. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't care so much. But I still loved them. I still love them." 

"It's okay." 

"It's not!" I exclaim. "You're my family, not them." 

"That doesn't mean you can't care for them," Elijah smiles gently, lightly kissing my temple before turning his attention back on the road. 

The drive is hours long, even with Elijah constantly breaking the speed limit. All the way through I can't get the Cullens out my mind, and it seems that I'm seeing them in a completely different light. It's almost as if I care for them a lot more than I realised, but maybe it's because I've left them. 

Like the song says, only know you love them when you let them go. 

"Bella." Elijah breaks the heavy silence. "We're here." 

Just as he says this we pass a sign: 'Welcome to Mystic Falls.' 

A huge smile breaks out on my face. Klaus and I are getting closer by the second; a squeal of excitement escapes my lips. Elijah chuckles beside me.

"What?" I question with an injured air. He just shakes his head.

He pulls up outside a place called 'Mystic Grill.' "He's in there," Elijah explains. "Here."

He hands me a drivers license that says I'm twenty one, the age I was when I was turned. He then hands me a wallet full of cash. "Yay," I reply, "Alchohol."

He laughs before ruffling my hair and stepping out the car. "Good luck," He says before I walk into the bar.

"Thanks," I whisper, knowing he can hear.

I look around. Klaus is nowhere in sight, so I give up and go and sit at the bar. "Scotch on the rocks," I huff.

The drink is soon placed in front of me, and I fish in my pocket for my wallet. But before I can pull out any money some is placed in front of me. "I'll pay," Says the man who is sitting next to me.

That voice...

I know that voice.

I turn, and there he is.

"Klaus."