Chapter Seven: The Path To Forever

Picard remained on the bridge for the next handful of hours, trying to focus on reports, crew evaluations, a handful of routine communiques from Starfleet... but in truth, he was waiting. Waiting for the call that would trigger the next phase in his duty. That call came a few hours after Data returned to the bridge from his work on the TARDIS herself, and when it did, Picard sat ramrod straight in his chair.

"LaForge to bridge," the Chief Engineer's ever-jubilant tones came through from Main Engineering, where he had been running a diagnostic even as their guest continued to toil in the holodeck. "The Doctor reports he's finished constructing the module. He'd like to install it to his ship as soon as possible."

"Very well," Picard replied, nodding. "Have the security detail escort the Doctor back to his quarters, Mister LaForge, and place his device in a storage case."

There was a pause before LaForge asked; "...sir?"

"You heard me, Lieutenant," Picard said firmly. "Do not say anything to alarm him, just bring him back to his quarters. Make certain you cut off his cabin from the main computer and internal sensors... we can't allow him to access our systems again."

"Aye, sir..." There was still more than a little confusion in LaForge's voice, but it was tempered by resignation.

"Picard out."

"Captain," Riker said, eyes narrowing, "what's going on?"

Turning his attention back to the report on the display in the arm of his chair, Picard's brows lifted, his tone casual. "Well, Starfleet has instructed us to take the Doctor prisoner, and deliver him, and his vessel, to the Intrepid. It should be arriving in a few more hours, at which point we are to hand both of them over, so they can return with him to Starfleet Command."

The entire bridge crew seemed to freeze at that, looks ranging between shock, incredulity and even anger crossing the faces of everyone except Data.

"Sir, with all due respect," Riker protested, not even trying to hide his own anger. "that's against the Charter. We should appeal the orders-"

"We have our orders, Commander," Picard replied sharply, cutting short any argument. "We will follow them as our conscience dictates."

Riker nodded slowly, his eyes narrowing with a mixture of confusion and irritation, mouth twisting. "...aye, Sir."

"Lieutenant Worf," Picard continued calmly, settling into his command chair. "Given Starfleet obviously considers this visitor a serious threat to our security, we can only assume that the object he has designed is similarly very dangerous; he claims it will render his TARDIS operational, but it could of course serve a far more nefarious purpose. In the interest of ship's security, I think it would be best if we moved the device from the holodeck to somewhere nearer a quick evacuation point, should it prove dangerous... such as shuttlebay two."

"Shuttlebay two? But, sir..." Worf paused for a moment, brow furrowed... and then understanding started to bloom among the bridge crew, Riker shifting restlessly in his seat as the Klingon security chief continued solemnly. "Aye, sir. I will have the... dangerous... contraband moved to the shuttlebay. Given the intruder's vessel is also within shuttlebay two, we would be able to eject both into space if it becomes necessary."

"Just what I was thinking, Mister Worf," Picard replied, nodding, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "Make it so. For the safety of the security detail, move them out of the shuttlebay; have them guard the access points. Send a message to the Intrepid informing them that we have secured their prisoner, and will await their arrival. Mister Data, are you confident you've completed the modifications in the Doctor's TARDIS?"