Chapter Fifteen: Common Ground

It had been a little over an hour since the Doctor, Picard and that blue box had first arrived aboard Voyager, and a bit less than that since the Time Lord had been confined to the brig. After receiving the holographic Doctor's more detailed report on Picard's physiology- more specifically, confirmation that he indeed seemed to be who he claimed- Janeway had decided that this left the Time Lord himself as the only real mystery. So, leaving the Captain of the Enterprise with Chakotay, under instructions to report to the Astrometrics Lab, the Captain of Voyager was making her way down to the brig to see about questioning their mysterious guest properly.

No sooner had she stepped off the turbolift when she was intercepted by the balding Chief Medical Officer, who had perhaps the most enthusiastic grin she had ever seen on his face. Eyeing him with mild surprise- she hadn't actually requested that he accompany her- it started to make a lot more sense when she noticed that he was carrying a large medical kit at his side. Judging from the size, it probably had fewer hyposprays and cordical stimulators, and more diagnostic tools and medical sensors.

"Doctor," Janeway greeted a bit wryly, glancing down at the kit, then back at him with a lifted brow. "You do recall I told you that we wouldn't be conducting any medical examinations?"

"Yes, Captain, and I understand that," the Doctor replied eagerly, clearly restraining himself from all but clinging to Janeway's shoulder as he followed her down the corridor, "but the information from the Enterprise's initial examination is simply fascinating, and if I could just have some time to place him under a simple, basic micro-cellular series, I think that the information gleaned from it could-"

"Contaminate the timeline," Janeway replied sharply. "Temporal Prime Directive, Doctor, any information we learn from him due to his interference could have disastrous consequences."

"But, Captain-"

Janeway stopped in place, head down and a hand on her hip as she fought the urge to order him back to sickbay.

"Doctor," she finally murmured, holding up her other hand to cut off any further pleas, "if you find that you absolutely must, for the sake of your professional curiosity, then by all means, run every scan you would like on him, and every test that he consents to. But whatever you learn is not to be put in a report, in so much as a biology thesis, and it is certainly not to be submitted to Starfleet on any future transmissions. Are we clear?"

The Doctor nodded, once, trying to look properly chastised. "Of course, Captain."

"Good." Janeway started marching down the corridor again, sighing softly when she heard the Doctor hurry to follow.

As they stepped into the brig, the security guard on duty stood up, inclining his head towards the Commanding Officer respectfully. Gesturing for him to stand down, Janeway turned her attention to the brig's occupant; lying flat on his back on the narrow cot, the Time Lord's hands were behind his head, gaze on the ceiling, both feet restlessly twitching. They had confiscated his jacket, his sonic screwdriver, and (just to be on the safe side) his shoes, leaving him in suspenders, shirt, pants, bowtie, and socks. He gave no sign that he noticed their arrival... but as Janeway drew closer to the forcefield, he suddenly spoke, slowly.

"You know," the Time Lord said sternly, gaze still locked on the ceiling, "the only thing saving you lot from the position of 'Worst Welcome' is that the last bunch literally shot me. Hardly sets the bar very high for you, does it now?"

Janeway's brows lifted, her tone mimicking his; "Well, I'm very sorry you find our brig uncomfortable, but you showed up in the middle of the Delta Quadrant with a Starfleet Captain and about a dozen warrants for your arrest, so I thought that maybe we shouldn't give you the VIP tour just yet."