The Start to my Journey

I walk out of the parade ground proud at my accomplishments, but more is to come. I arrive home after graduation my parents did not let me change from the thick canvas karkys that we wore at basic. I now have to wait to be called to training for the airforce. I wake up, get out of bed and get dressed as usual but something felt different, nothing was different today but I just felt like today was going to be special and boy was it special. I walk down to the letter box to check the mail a cream envelope lays in the letter box I knew exactly what the letter was. YES! It was my call up to training, I pack my bags and leave that afternoon for camp. Our induction to the airforce academy wasn't that bad they were quite lenient towards us they treated us like men. They show us our rooms and we are told to report to the lecture room. ATTENTION! at ease, our new CO walks onto the stage and introduces us to our training officers who will help us bound for pilot training to achieve our goals. My Training officer or TO was sergeant Harris he was quite a nice fellow. We are told to report to the uniform shop where we receive our new uniforms, they look great, our Charlie's or dress uniforms are sky blue with black long dress pants then our cams or camouflage uniforms are in forest colours then our flying suits are dark green with the RAAF insignia and our ranks on the shoulders, these uniforms had to be kept in pretty good nick, that was one thing they were strict on if even a hair was found on our uniform we would be reprimanded. It wasn't long before I was introduced to the courses I needed to take. my TO talked with me, giving me the courses and the study I need to do to get recommended for fighter training.  The sweet bitter smell of tear gas filled the room, my eyes are burning all I want to do is run out the door but instead I stand at attention waiting to be told to put my mask on. We are currently in combat pilot eligibility training, we are being trained the basics so that our instructors can form a list of 8 applicants to proceed to fighter training. Private Joe don mask and clear, I couldn't be happier to hear a phrase! I don my mask and clear it as shown these are replica fighter pilot masks and helmets they mainly designed to feed the pilot oxygen as they fly but will also trap out gases that may be caused by a fire. I get out of the chamber and hey my cold is gone but my eyes sting and all I want to do is run them. I clean my helmet and mask and hand it back in hopefully I get selected.  We finish the day with more runs in full gear it's something I've grown used to. The end of the selection period ends and I sit and wait for news on my selection, I was starting to doubt my selection when my gunnery sergeant walked in inviting me into the chief training officers office. "Private Joe you have been selected for combat pilot training please report your Training officers desk at 0400 hours and await further information" I couldn't be happier this was a start.