The hard work pays off

It's 2400 and I've got 3 weeks leave, I head out with my class mates we party like there's no tomorrow, of course I was the designated driver so I didn't drink much but my other mates got absolutely wasted. A civilian who was off poor nature looked to be under the influence of drugs too, saw a group of drunk young men namely ourselves, decided to pick a fight, he soon realised we were the wrong people to pick a fight with. Fresh out of basic we were as qualified as a basic infantry personnel, personally I never liked to fight I have always been the one who runs away and stays out that was partly due to the fact I was weak, this guy approaches me in a threatening manner before I know it he's on the ground in an arm lock with me on top holding him down, I was surprised my training kicked in I never thought about what I did it just happened. We get in the car and drive off no one is too talk about what happened, no one dares too. Days pass more of the training regime and classes, things are starting to get harder. Maths has always been a massive downfall for me, I've picked it up well, I mean I can remember formulas it's just making the calculations that I struggle at, put simply I can't multiply or divide well. I keep working through this. End of term woo hoo I passed everything now I get to move on, just less than a quarter of the class has disappeared as expected. I'm sent home on holiday leave, I've missed my parents but missed my dogs Milo and Ella more the joy on Ella's face is amazing, I haven't seen her in 2 months. Mum wanted me to re-home her, I told her it wasn't happening all my struggles she had been there never would I leave my best friends side. Even though I'm on holiday leave I study to prepare for the next term I relentlessly study flight procedures next term is the big one next term I get my wings. As I approach the massive college campus I take a moment to remind myself I can do this, I can already see myself soaring through the sky's, well I've been seeing that since I was a little tacker but I can see it much clearer now... the smells of my flight mask, the firm wedge of my flight helmet against my skull as I bank in for a turn. Not long now and that will be reality. The buzz of computers can be heard monitors line the room, we are in the flight simulator monitor room, this room, these computers will decide if I get my very own growler, I can't wait to be handed the dark black vinyl sticker, lieutenant Joe Ross "Hamer hawk" Hamer hawk was the nickname given to me after that nights fight. Exciting times, I breath a sigh of relief and reflect on all my effort, the hard stitchy feeling of my flight suit, and the smooth matte finish on my flight helmet, mask dangling down, this is the reason I did this my name printed on the back of the helmet, this is mine, I've earnt it. I get into the cockpit of the simulated growler, it's very realistic. I start going through start up procedures, flipping the battery power to on, the fuel pumps on, I check all my systems and get the green light, ignition, I slide the throttle up till the pressure gauge reaches green then back off, I signal for the chocks to be removed and slide the throttle up slightly taxing to run way 3-5 left, performing post start up checks as I taxi. Weapons systems check, flares check we're all good, Lema, bravo 2-5 requesting takeoff south west departure, Lema bravo 2-5, takeoff approved south west departure sqwauk 1-4. I listen to the weather and run way conditions for he rest of my taxi the operator of the sim is bound to throw in a few bumps to see how I react. As I throttle up I feel the power surge through the jet the simulator is so real with simulated g force you can really feel what it's like to fly.As I bank up my for my south west departure my systems scream lock, as my co pilot warns me of an approaching enemy aircraft, "Lema bravo 2-5 meeting resistance sector 5-a immediate assistance" I hear the brrrt of the anti air gun on base and the aircraft is no more. I circle the base and request fighter support, if I travel in a pair with another fighter any resistance can be fought from two angles. I bank off to the north and head for the village I have been designated to "evaporate" and evaporate I do JDAM after JDAM the village is reduced to rubble, "TANGOS STARBOARD, TALLY HO" not again... the pilots good, I bank up for a loop to test the pilot and cop a round to the rear at that point I bank off into a scissor roll and into a serious of loops and rolls using brake turns to shake him he's too good FIRE FIRE FIRE oh shit I hit the extinguisher hoping for it to do something but the fire warning keeps sounding, I lose control no hydraulics "Lema bravo 2-5 emergency emergency Comms clearance, engine fire severe sector 7-kilo, heavy air resistance, objective complete, will try to make base clear runway 3-1 alpha and place emergency on standbye 9 klicks out" I say with pure terror as adrenaline fills my veins, I know this is a simulation but it feels real, best I can do is stay calm and keep breathing focus on getting to base. Base sends an escort due to my heavy damage in enemy air space. My aircraft is useless I manage to gain control of my hydraulics and keep her on course, ahh touch down I taxi to the emergency bay with relief and power down, unplugging my helmet and mask and getting out of the cockpit. "Good flight private keep it up very good Comms, just need to work on reaction times" they were the best words I could hear from my TO many more of these training sessions followed. Combat pilot training has improved my reaction times by a mile, I'm way more aware of my surroundings and I act with swift action it's amazing. Yes range day, as a pilot we do not require rifles but are supplied with Glock 19s similar to those used by the police, as they are designed to be used as a primary weapon they have been installed with detachable stocks and full auto and semi auto firing. I soon grow to love the weapon, but I hope I never have to use it as that would mean that I have fallen victim to the worst case scenario a pilot could face, ejected into enemy territory fighting my way to an evacuation point. That nightmare is one that haunts every pilot but I hope I'll never face it. I shoot well with a tight grouping, 20 rounds almost on top of each other with semi auto and a reasonably good sized group with full auto. As final training raps up we are issued our duty gear, the pristine G suit that I would depend on to keep me conscious, the thigh holster that hangs from my g suit and the clean matte camo green flight helmet mask dangling down, this is my dream I sit there thinking back to when I was a child this was my dream and now it's reality . We are about to head into briefing for a first time flight, we use smaller aircraft Such as the hawk 1972 to train. They're fast but not as fast and agile and the f18 super hornets or EA18G growlers I may fly one day. "Everything goes to mush I'm squished down in my seat, battling to stay conscious, I lock down my breathing and bank for a 10g brake turn. The g force hits me I can't feel my legs my eyes start to close, my vision gets smaller and smaller by the second then everything goes black, "EJECT EJECT EJECT" I jump in my seat and hear the canopy blast open behind me, my trainer ejected I hit eject yelling "EJECT EJECT EJECT" into my headset. My head lurches as I'm rocketed into the air above my aircraft, my seat lurches again as the parachute opens and I float to the ground "Lema-bravo 2-5 all occupants clear eject." Damn damn damn I passed out I can't believe I did. I'm quickly marched down to the med tent they give me a once over and then the all clear. I go to my room and sleep, I swear I slept for a lifetime.