It's Go Time

The boys and I from the squadron head out to the night clubs that surround the aussie streets to celebrate our great achievement that is recieving our wings. Of course the night is destined for all to end up drunk as hell and falling about the show maybe even ending with a run in with cops and a one way ticket to the watch-house but no-one cares 6 months of hard work and now its time to let out some steam. "RIGHTIO RECRUITS! PARTIES OVER!" shit our drill instructors found us, we all quickly scramble...  drunk as hell hoping not to be noticed. We soon make it back to base, we all sleep peacefully. "Wakey wakey rise and shakey fellas, mumma wants these here hungover babies to run 5 kms", in true drill instructor style we're woken up at crazy hours of the morning to run while hungover, I'm pretty sure everyone puked that morning. There were people yucking their guts out left right and center. The drill instructors finally finished their torture just 10 minutes before our intiation parade, we all madly scramble into our dress uniform ensuring that every fold and crease is perfect to avoid a raping from the CO. I'll fly a plane one day, the funny thing about the airforce is you spend most of your time doing drills and planning upcoming flights, rarely do we fly yet thats what we are purely trained for to fly like a badass and blow shit up. Soon enough myself and the rest of 22nd Squadron are called into parade, our CO stands on the stage congratulating us for our hard work, he suddenly throughs a spanner in the works informing us of our deployment... boys we're going to iraq. I'm over whelmed with a feelings of fear, excitement, honour and just gut wrenching thoughts of what if... what if I'm shot down, what if I don't make it back home, what if my family never sees me again. These thoughts begin to take over my mind and I'm forced to block them out, These thoughts are normal but they must be suppressed and controlled before deploying to avoid corrupting my mind. "Alright boys, you've trained well, your as fit as you'll see ever be. Our mates over in the army need us and by god we're going to rain hell where ever they bloody need it. Stay safe 22nd I wish you the best. Lets show these goat fuckers what we're made of." Our CO's words are followed by a loud cheer "HOOOOORAH" we all break formation and head back to our barracks, pack our gear and head home for 3 week pre deployment leave. We're told to make the most of this time and say our proper goodbyes because it may be the last we give. Before I even reach the door of my parents unit I hear the short squeals of my dog Ella turning herself inside out so happy to see me, a massive smile fills my face. I can't help but wonder do I really want to do this to her, do I really want to leave my ella for 6 months. While I hate to do it too her this is my dream and its what I'm following. I spend the next 2 weeks with my family making the most of my time with them as I won't see them till I come back from deployment. The last week I spend visiting family and friends droppping in telling them about my deployment and then giving them a final goodbye. No sooner than it had come my 3 weeks leave is finished and I'm to head back to base and prepare all my equipment. A nervous atmosphere surrounds the barracks,everyones fearful everyones exciting no-one truly knows what is going to happen.