21| Fade

"She's my best friend and I want to talk to her," I snapped at the two guards, who's gazes lingered on me for a moment until they shared a look. "Right now!"

This morning, there was a big fuss when a guard was desperately seeking medical attention. Clarke, of course, had been to investigate. When I saw her again in the hall, she'd mentioned that one of them had been covered in radiation burns, but they'd treated him and she saw him walking around like nothing had happened. Obviously, this raised both her suspicions and mine. She then left me to eat dinner in the dining hall, and the next thing I knew, she was in the medical ward, again.

"We can't let you to go there. Only patients are allowed in medical," one of the guards replied, causing me to roll my eyes in irritation. We'd been going back and forwards like this for the past few minutes, which only heightened my worries about my best friend, as well as my irritation.

My confrontation with the two guards had grabbed some attention, including Jasper's. "Come on," I heard my friend say softly. "Let's finish eating."

I shook him off, staring darkly at the two men before heading back towards the table. Jasper seemed to sigh in relief as the guards shared a satisfied look, until I grabbed the knife beside my plate.

"Woah! Billie-" Jasper started as I held it to my skin, turning back to the guards. There were some gasps in the room from people who'd watched the scenario unfold.

"Only patients are allowed in medical right? Well-"

"What seems to be the problem here?" An incredibly pretty woman wearing a lab coat cut me off, stopping beside the two guards. I completely froze still, watching as her cold eyes wandered to the knife pressed against my skin.

The guards stayed silent as I took in her appearance. She looked like a doctor or at least someone who had something to do with medical, so maybe she could get me to Clarke. "My best friend is in the medical room. I went to go and see her but I was stopped."

"You must be Billie," she said calmly. "My name is Lorelei Tsing, I'm head doctor here. Please put the knife back down."

"Only if I can go and see Clarke."

To my surprise, she nodded. "I'll take you to her. Now, put it down."

The room had fallen silent now and it felt like everyone's eyes were on me as I placed the knife back on the table. She nodded her head and I began to follow her down the hallway, glancing back at a slightly shocked Jasper once more before I turned the corner.

"That wasn't a good thing to try and do, Billie," I heard her say as I walked beside her, glancing around me. "I understand your need to see your friend but we would never encourage desperate acts like those to get what you want."

I didn't respond, coming to a stop next to her outside a door that read Medical Room. "Thanks-" I started, only for her to interject.

"We understand you've been through a lot. And after everything you've seen, you're going to be going through some things."

"Honestly, I really just want to see Clarke so-"

"Billie," she started, her tone seeming somewhat warmer. "It seems to me like you're suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder."

"Well, it wouldn't exactly take a genius to figure that out," I shot back, although she didn't exactly seem phased by my attitude. I didn't mean to be rude, I was just really, very desperate to see Clarke. "I'm pretty sure all of my people have been dealing with that on some level. Thanks for the concern."

"Your people haven't been attempting to harm themselves, Billie." Her words made my thoughts stop cold for a moment, and I felt my earlier demeanour fading. "If you would like to talk about it-"