24| Recruits

The following morning presented us with an opportunity to carry out a mission against Mount Weather. Raven had apparently figured out a vital piece of information about how Mount Weather had been jamming signals, which of course affected equipment like our radios and walkie-talkies. Surprisingly, Abby had actually agreed to letting us go and find the jammer so that Raven could destroy it.

"I can't believe they let Finn come," Octavia muttered as I walked alongside her. I directed my attention to my surroundings, not wanting to get into that debate.

"He's the best tracker we've got," Bellamy reminded, even though I knew he wasn't too keen on the idea too. In fact, honestly, I wasn't entirely fine with it either. Finn had become unpredictable. "Don't forget to look up!" He then called out, raising his voice so that the rest of the group could hear. "The Grounders use the trees. That's how we lost John Mbege."

I heard him sigh quietly and glanced up, watching him with a small smile. My mind was still blissfully reeling through the kiss the other day, but I'd began to become a little confused by my feelings.

All of a sudden, an arm shot out in front of me, causing me to come to a halt. I snapped out of my thoughts, noticing Bellamy watching me with a slightly amused look. I then averted my eyes to a low branch that had been hanging at my head height. "Watch where you're going, Dimples."

I bit my lip, feeling a blush rising to my cheeks when I realised I'd been too busy staring at Bellamy to notice I was about to walk into the branch.

"Thanks," I managed say, to which Bellamy responded with a breathy chuckle. As he went to catch up with Octavia, I groaned, putting my head in my hands.

"Have I missed something?" Clarke questioned, startling me. I lifted my head up, turning my attention towards her.

"No– nothing," I blurted out, probably a little too quickly. Clarke glanced from me, and then up ahead to Bellamy and Octavia. Her gaze finally rested on me once more, a slightly smug smile pulling at her lips, but she made no comment.

We continued on for another few hours before finally reaching Mount Weather. Being back near that place already gave me shivers. There was a sick feeling of dread in my stomach. I never wanted to be near there ever again.

"It'll be dark soon," Clarke commented, pulling down the binoculars she'd been using to look at the satellite dish. "We'll never spot the traps. We should set up camp here, leave at first light."

I took the binoculars from her hands, taking a look at our target. I relished in the fact that it would destroyed soon.

"We're missing two!" Abby called out, causing me to slowly pull the binoculars down, silently cursing. We'd come up with a plan to allow Bellamy and Octavia to break away from the group and get into Mount Weather. I didn't expect anyone to notice so soon though. "Where the hell are they?" Abby muttered.

It must have been at least half an hour since they'd separated from the group, which hopefully meant they'd covered a good deal of ground by now.

"Bellamy! Octavia!" Voices rang out, the guards beginning to break away and search for the two.

"Clarke, we're in enemy territory, and their lives are my responsibility," Abby snapped, causing Raven and I to share a look as we watched the two of them.

"They went to find a way in," Clarke eventually informed.

"A way in?" Abby questioned, completely shocked. "That's not what this mission is about."