~Life~

I'd never given much thought about the aftermath of my confession. After being with Abby, my life was changed. There was no going back to subtle glances and stares full of longing from across the room. There was no going back.
With that being said I wasn't prepared when our parents called to tell us that they would be coming home early.
I had been lying with Abby on her bed, listening to her soothing voice as she read from her favorite book, when both of our phones rang. I was surprised my father was calling me, I had expected him to be so wrapped up on his second honey moon that he wouldn't have time for house calls. Apparently I was wrong.

"Hello?" I asked cautiously.

"Jamey," I heard my father sigh in what sounded like relief "How's my boy doing?"

I motioned to Abby that I would be taking my call in the other room but she was too preoccupied in her own conversation to notice and waved me off. "I'm good dad. Better than that actually," I laughed lightly, glancing at the blonde angel over my shoulder. "How are you? How's the island?"

"Uh, its been lovely. The sun is hotter than I thought it would be but it's beautiful. Karens having a great time." I heard the slight hesitation in his voice and frowned.

"Dad, are you sure you're okay?" I asked.

There was a pause before he spoke. "Karen and I have decided to come home early. The trip has just taken a lot of energy out of the both of us and we've had our fun." He was avoiding my questions head on and I didn't know whether to be frustrated or worried.
"Dad-" I tried to get some reassurance but he spoke over me, rushing his words.
"Now, now. Don't be such a worry wart, Karen and I will be back some time tomorrow night. We'll see you kids soon alright?"

I sighed, knowing I wasn't going to get anything out of him over the phone. "I'll see you tomorrow." I stared at my phone for a moment before heading back into Abby's room. She bore the same expression I felt. Her eyebrows were scrunched together in confusion and her teeth dug into the corner of her bottom lip.
I pulled her lower lip out from beneath her teeth and raised her chin to meet my eyes. "I just had the most peculiar conversation with my mother." She said.

"What did she say?" I asked, unsure what our parents odd behavior meant.

"Hardly anything." She licked her lips quickly as she said "My mother is the most talkative and enthusiastic woman I know. Every time we talk on the phone she has a checklist of questions to ask me, she likes to know that I'm alright, she's an excessive worrier but just now...she was completely vague and sounded-I don't know- tired?"

"I'm sure it's nothing. My father did say they were both really tired from all the exploring they have been doing." I didn't tell her of my doubts. Seeing her worried this way sent an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Everything's going to be alright. But there's just one thing..." I trailed off and scratched the back of my neck unsure of how I should continue.

Abby tilted her head in confusion "What are you talking about?"

"Well, they're coming home tomorrow. It won't be just the two of us anymore and-"

"And you want to tell them. Don't you?" Realization was clear in her eyes as well as worry. I quickly gathered her into my arms.

"Angel, we don't have to them if you don't want to. If you're worried about their reaction we can keep this between us." I wanted to tell my father everything. I wanted to share how I truly felt and why I had been away from home for so long, give him an explanation for my leaving. Why I went to college out of state and moved across the country. But I wouldn't if Abby wasn't ready. After all it wasn't a normal situation nor would most parents take such an arrangement lightly. She was my step sister. We weren't blood related but we were family. And if my inability to move on caused her any type of pain or broke her relationship with her mother, I would never forgive myself.