Getting Out (Kaoru Hitachiin x reader) Gang AU

(WARNINGS: Violence and blood)

Your job was simple. Point and shoot. How had it gone so wrong? How could you have messed up so royally? You hadn't meant for it to happen and yet, here you were on the barrel end of someone else's gun. His gun. There was a part of you that wanted to break down and let him just shoot you, to end the ridiculous feud. Then, there was a part of you that wanted to live. To run away and leave this behind.

The two gangs had been at war for longer than you could remember. Yours and Ouran. You weren't even sure how it started, but you knew there was no end in sight. You'd been fighting for far too long but this was the first time deadly weapons had been involved and now, here you were, lying on the ground with his gun pointed at you. You could see his hands shaking as he stood over you. "Why, Y/N? Why couldn't you stay out of the way?"

You let out a breathless chuckle. "Guess I'm too stupid to know when not to follow orders. What about you?" Kaoru's hands were still shaking, but he refused to lower his weapon. "I-I have to keep my brother safe. This was the only way." You nodded, pressing your hand to the wound in your leg. "Lower the gun, Kaoru. I know you won't shoot me." Kaoru's brow arched. "Why not?" You laughed again. "Because you're out of ammo. Your last shot hit the wall back there," you replied, making his amber eyes widen.

"Did I get you?" You shook your head. "No. I think it was the silent guy. Doesn't matter. I don't think I'm going to die," came your answer as you winced. You tried to move to prop up against the alley wall. "Thank God," Kaoru said, quickly putting his gun away and helping you to move. "I'm sorry you got in the middle of all this, Y/N." You smiled and shrugged. "It wasn't your fault. I was already in the middle."

"This was my fault, Y/N. If I hadn't...if we hadn't," he trailed off, but you knew what he was trying to say. If the two of you hadn't met and fallen in love, this wouldn't have happened. The leader of your gang had somehow found out and was furious. It lead to an all out brawl in the streets in the dead of night. "Kaoru, this isn't your fault. It is mine too. But we can't help who we fall in love with. Besides, how could you know this would happen? It wasn't you who pulled the trigger. You have terrible aim, by the way."

Kaoru laughed. "I know. As soon as the coast is clear, I'll get you to the hospital." He lowered himself to the ground next to you and carefully wrapped an arm around your shoulders. You leaned your head down to rest on him. "You know Kaoru, my life was never great. There were times I wanted out. Then I met you and you made things better." You would never had said these things out loud if you weren't trying to drown out the sound of gunshots going off around you. Kaoru's grip on your shoulder tightened.

"I feel the same." You picked your head up to look at him. You opened your mouth to respond, but you were cut off by another voice. "Kaoru, get away from them. They're the enemy." Kaoru looked up, but didn't move. "Hikaru, wait." The boy that looked exactly like Kaoru stood there, his gun pointed at you. You wanted to roll your eyes. You were really tired of having people pointing their firearms at you.

Kaoru slowly stood up to face his twin. "Please don't. I-I love Y/N." Hikaru slowly lowered the gun and stared at his brother in disbelief. "Tell me you're joking, Kaoru. You can't love the enemy." Kaoru glared at his brother. "Y/N is not the enemy! I love them and if you can't handle that, if the others can't handle it, then I'm going to leave. I will leave and take Y/N with me." Your mouth dropped open in shock. Did he mean that?

Hikaru held is hands up in surrender. "You'd leave your only brother?" Kaoru nodded, his jaw set in determination. "I would. Wouldn't you if it was Haruhi?" Hikaru dropped his head. "Yes. Alright. I'll distract the others. Y/N's gang ran off. Get Y/N to the hospital. I'll meet you there later and help get you out of the city."Kaoru hugged his brother quickly before helping you off the ground. "Thank you, Hikaru," you whispered. You were growing weaker by the second as the blood began to flow from your leg again. "Yeah, yeah. Go." Kaoru lead you down the back streets, the quickest way to the hospital. "Are you sure this is what you want, Kaoru?" He flashed you a smile and that was all the answer you needed.