03

❝i wish i had an answer that would make it okay, but the truth is, i'm just terrified.❝

HER EYES NEVER LEFT THE PICTURE. all the way back to her room, and even as she pasted it to her wall, essie just couldn't stop staring.

it wasn't just the way she took it, even though she had to give herself credit when it came to the exposure and framing. it was the way he looked. the smirk that was about to be born. the way he tied his scarf, the way his bat was held in his glove-covered fingers. she almost felt sneaky, the way she did something to him without his knowledge or consent.

essie pondered what could've happened if she ever relived that moment. what if he looked up due to the flash, and told dwight to shoot her right then and there? what if that was the last picture she ever took? at least her last chance at making art was one of her best.

the time had to be around seven thirty, since breakfast had just finished up and she could already hear people outside her window, at work. she didn't have much to do until about nine this evening, except attend lunch and dinner. essie figured she'd better get some laundry done.

there was often a dull atmosphere that surrounded the girl's life. heftier, more time-consuming jobs weren't for her. this wasn't for any reason, either. this was his decision all those years ago. but the girl didn't want to spend her time dwelling on that. she had work to do.

◆ 

the mess hall tables were pushed to the sides a couple hours later, every savior on their knees in fear. essie was towards the back, with the other kitchen staff members. heavy footsteps entered the room, and it didn't take a genius to figure out who they belonged to.

negan.

"rise, you fuckers!" he threw his hands up, a grin painted over his lips.

his first words cued essie to stand, rubbing her sweaty palms over her jeans. she didn't know what it was, but whenever that man was around, her heart took refuge in her throat. whenever these meetings took place, she always stayed towards the back, not wanting to see any more than she had to.

there was a chair in the middle of the room, which meant someone was about to be punished. glancing across the area- sure enough-dwight was ready with the iron. this was one of her least favorite parts of being here, other than seeing the bat-carrying bastard. witnessing people get hurt for doing something greatly minuscule was hard. except for the sick people who were standing on their tiptoes to get a better view.