09

❝the pain that comes here today, is here, then goes away❝

IT WAS HARD TO WALK THROUGH THE HALLS THAT NIGHT. especially for essie, terrified that the wives would be around every corner, just waiting to tell her more of what she didn't want to hear. 

she didn't show her face to anyone after lunch, because she wanted to be alone for a bit. essie couldn't help but wonder how many more times she would be holed up in her room. thinking of the same human, who was either out to love her or trick her.

pushing open the weightless door to the kitchen once downstairs, she saw reese scratching at a plate by the sink. it seemed the woman couldn't get a certain chip of dried food off the porcelain. 

"need help with that?" essie startled her, causing the plate to fall to the floor and shatter. 

"oh, shit!" reese yelled, looking back to essie with a worried expression. they both stood there, waiting for someone to stomp into the kitchen angrily for interrupting their sleep. but when no one came, the two women busted out in laughter.

essie kept replaying the hilarious startled expression reese had, and both of their reactions as she dropped the plate. as essie went to grab the broom, she was wiping tears from her eyes.

"let's never do that again." reese wheezed, throwing her head back in laughter.

nodding her head, essie agreed. they both swept up the plate between giggles, and the younger woman's heart grew at the happiness that overwhelmed her.

calming down and sweeping all the glass shards to the trash, reese and essie both got back to work at the sink. fun time was over, they still had dishes to clean.

"would i be too rude if i asked you about...you know who?" reese sliced through the silence a while later. essie shrugged. as much as she wanted to leave talk about the bastard for later, realizing she probably wouldn't escape it was inevitable.  

"go ahead. i have some news to tell you anyways." essie knew reese longer than anyone around here, except negan. they knew a lot about each other. 

"ooh, what's the news?"

essie took her hands out of the luke warm water, flicking them dry. "we, uh, had dinner yesterday." when her eyes widened, essie held her hands up in defense. "but nothing serious happened. i promise." she paused, not caring who she told at this point. "well, nothing too serious."

"essie, what the hell happened?"

reese was never the person to swear, but tonight must've been her cheat day.