06

❝and i could easily change my mind, the way you kiss me will work each time❝

THE GARDEN OUTSIDE WAS ALWAYS ABLE TO CLEAR HER HEAD. the methodically planted flowers and veggies, along with the breeze that was sure to fluff through her hair, reminded essie to breathe. not only did she come out here to fulfill a duty, but often she took a second to enjoy the only color left in the world. within the various flower petals and other plant remnants, was proof that mother nature was still among the residents of the sanctuary.

about three hours after lunch the next afternoon, essie strolled to her room. she grabbed a pair of grubby shorts and some sunglasses, leaving her camera behind. she could barely look at it without being reminded of previous occurrences.

her original mindset through all of this chaos was to keep going. to keep making art, the best way she knew how to. she wasn't going to let that man get in the way of her craft. but each time she tried to grab her camera, to get back out there and take as many pictures as she could, her throat clenched. her long lost fear of the man was back, and haunting as ever.

the bed of plants was in one of the back corners by the gate, away from everyone else. she considered that as a blessing, especially with her newfound popularity. it was hard to notice everyone's faces as she made her way around her home. their expressions were screaming 'how is she still breathing?'.

essie wanted to scream at them, to tell them how negan could do more than physically hurt a person, but looking at it from an outside perspective, she would've been complimenting him. she hadn't talked at all since seeing reese, and didn't plan to until seeing the woman again at work.

she made it down to the ground level, avoiding numerous gazes. the shed where her gardening tools were was located outside, in the middle of the grassy plain surrounded by the gate. she knew there was going to be people in there, but she also knew it was only a matter of time before she could be isolated outside.

once inside, she quickly snatched her trowel and handfork. she also slipped on some worn gloves and a small tool belt. her hair was already up, ponytail swishing as she ran out to her special spot.

she was wearing an old baseball tee, one of her favorites with her school mascot printed on the left side of the chest. it was a porcupine, with large cartoon eyes. she loved that it could remind the student body to stand up for themselves. even if other people were afraid of you.

approaching the small plot, she bent her knees and looked at the growing tomatoes and potatoes. they weren't ripe yet. she didn't need to water them, either, with the small sprinkle of rain they had that morning. there were other patches throughout the plain, all belonging to other citizens. those held other kinds of foods and resources.