11

❝and i'll use you as a focal point so i don't lose sight of what i want❝

SHE COULDN'T WIPE THE SMILE OFF HER FACE. it almost seemed embarrassing, walking downstairs for breakfast looking goofy as ever.

after negan left the night before, her mind wouldn't stop racing at light speed. half of her was delighted what happened, happened with him, but she couldn't be that happy without a downside.

guilt came now and again, being sure to show up whenever she relived the scene in her room.

she felt bad about not following reese and the wives' advice, and she didn't know if that was the right thing to do or not.

it was like another debate, heavier than the last one.

but she wasn't going to let that stop her.

negan told her to be confident, to not worry about whatever his wives had to say. and she was going to do that. no matter what it took.

in the end, if they were right, then she'd deal with every single 'i told you so' comment, and whatever else followed.

she never really felt confident often, especially since the apocalypse started. she was the type of person to overthink, to hesitate whenever making a decision.

and now, as she entered the cafeteria, she had to put that into motion once she saw who was at her table.

her favorite guests, probably back for the latest scoop on the complicated relationship.

the girl ignored how her stomach flipped, and knew that if she was going to face them now, she could do it. she could change her perspective, and tell them her feelings, leaving no room for argument.

essie believed she could change for him.

her hair swished as she approached her table, breezing past the breakfast bar. she didn't want her game plan to backfire if she puked all over them.

she had to roll her eyes at the fact they were sitting in the exact same order as the day before. the women weren't wearing their black dresses, instead-to essie's dismay-all rocking blouses and skirts.

taking her seat, she caught them all off guard by folding her hands on the table. out of the corner of her eye, she saw amber open her mouth, but all essie had to do was hold her finger up. she needed to establish her supremacy.