12

❝we keep this love in a photograph, we make these memories for ourselves❝

THE FLICKERING CANDLELIGHT COULD BE SEEN BEFORE SHE OPENED THE DOOR. she sighed happily, being reminded of when they had dinner together just less than a week ago. back then, essie was still terrified of the man.

pushing open the screen door with a creak, she stepped out onto the wooden deck.

the air was the perfect temperature, considering the fact that the sky was already black. she looked up, seeing a number of stars scattered about the sky.

negan had his hands folded and feet crossed as he leaned against the balcony ledge. but once he heard the door, his head turned.

"holy shit." he breathed, a big smile spreading on his face. "you look beautiful."

she giggled, eyes casting downwards. essie didn't know how she got this lucky.

"you don't look so bad, yourself." she told him, taking a step further on the balcony. it surprised her, how he was dressed. negan had ditched the leather jacket and gray cargo pants for a white dress shirt and black slacks, with a thin, black tie and oxfords.

she was just as taken aback by his fashion as he was.

"why, thank you." he said, walking over to her.

there was a table with a white tablecloth in the corner of the deck, similar to the one from their last dinner. it held many candles, two glasses of red wine, and a plate on either side. both ivory dishes held a slice of new york style cheesecake.

"i see you got the cheesecake you wanted." she observed, smiling.

"that i did. i don't offer something i can't deliver."

he moved behind her, pulling a chair out. she sat down, seeing him do the same seconds later. putting her camera on the table, she picked up her wine glass, staring at it before taking a sip.

negan couldn't hold in his laughter as she sputtered and coughed at the taste of the drink.

"stop it! i've never tried this before!" she tucked some hair behind her ear, trying to cover up her embarrassment.

she set the glass down, watching as he sipped it casually. his eyes were daring, squinted as he stared at her.

"i have to ask," he paused to swallow his drink. "there's no way you had that beautiful dress just lyin' around. where'd you get it?"