Chapter Six

"Sarah!"

    Tanner screams her name one last time. He knew. He knew she was already gone. He seen her grab Noah's hand and heard something like a last breath. He could have swore it almost sounded like she said something.

    He starts to struggle underneath Miyonah. She's a skinny girl but with the car flipped all of her weight is on top of him and he has no leverage to pull himself up. She has to wake up. He can feel her breathing.

"Dammit, Miyonah, wake up!"

    He hears movement from the front seat and sees Noah reach his hand out to Sarah's neck. "Ah, hell. Sarah, god, Sarah. No."

    He can see Noah from his spot and his face makes his heart skip. He knows she's dead. He knows that, but seeing it written all over Noah's face.... He sobs and once again struggles under Miyonah. Tears glisten on Noah's face and a pain that Tanner recognizes mirrors his own. Noah looks at Tanner like he's seeing him for the first time before his face hardens again and that look of fiery determination dances in his eyes.

. . . .

    I open my eyes and feel a hand start to slip from mine. I hold on to it and my vision clears. It's Sarah. Panic shoots through me and I reach across to her to feel for her pulse. I don't feel a thing.

"Ah, hell. Sarah, god, Sarah. No."

    I can feel myself start to vibrate from the inside out. My mind is screaming. Something warm starts to slide down my face. I hadn't cried in a long time.

Not her. God, please, not her.

    I keep her hand in mine and rub it between my fingers, trying to keep her warm. Not wanting to feel her turn cold. Not wanting to see her open her eyes and them not be that dark shade of blue. Knowing that if she did open them, they'd be white. All white.

    I hear a sob from the back seat and turn my head slightly. I meet someone's eyes and feel confused before I snap out of it and remember our situation. Tanner is still alive and I can see Miyonah breathing. I can't just sit here. I have to get them out.

    I look at Sarah one last time and mentally tell her I love her before pushing all of the grief down. Saving it for later. She would have wanted me to.

"We have to go." I choke out and then say again with more base, "We have to go."

    The car rocks slightly and I see one of the biders found their way on top of the car. It drops face down on the window and gnashes it's rotten teeth at me. I'm suddenly aware of all the moans and howls on the other side of the doors. I look back at Tanner and his eyes are huge with panic. I unbuckle my seat-belt and use the middle console for foot leverage. With one hand on the handle to my door, I look back at Tanner.

"Get ready." I say and swing the door open.

. . . .

    Noah swings the door open hard and the Bider goes flying off the car. He pulls himself up and his gun is out in an instant. Shots go off as he takes aim from atop the car and shoots down bider after bider. His anger goes into each bullet, his eyes like fire.

    Finally, he swings open Tanner's door and reaches for Miyonah. Tanner pushes her up as much as he can until Noah grabs hold of her. Tanner can finally move and hoists himself up. He looks back at Sarah and sees her twitch. He can't look. He slams the door shut below him and faces the terror in front of him. At least a dozen biders surround them with another seven on the ground, put down. He had never even faced one bider. Twelve was an absolute nightmare. He can feel the panic rising.

    Noah has Miyonah over his shoulder and the gun in his other hand. He takes down three more in one specific spot and then orders,

"Tanner, go!"

    His adrenaline kicks in and he jumps. The biders move in but Noah lands behind him and shoves him forward. They run. The biders are fast, fueled by the smell of fresh blood. Minutes pass and Tanner begins to slow down. His lungs feel like they're on fire and his breath becomes ragged but he keeps moving still hearing the screeching from the biders behind him. It's a fact that biders don't run much and can't run long. A few of them fall behind and then disappear from sight, deciding it isn't worth it.

    When he feels like he can't run any longer and the last two remaining biders are on his heels, Noah jerks around and shoots them down. His gun clicks empty and he shoves it in his waistband. Tanner collapses to the street in exhaustion, feeling the burning heat of exertion spread over him.

****Hey, guys! This chapter was originally going to be longer but I figured it would take me a while to add what I wanted so I decided to split it for you. Hope you're enjoying so far! Chapter 7 coming very soon.****